A/C Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
How exactly does your compressor alert you that its low on freon?
It makes deathly noise when the clutch is engaged

I’m guessing idk, perhaps it cycles a lot because of the pressure switch.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
How exactly does your compressor alert you that its low on freon?

when i'm running the heater, the clutch on the end of the compressor will spin for about a second about every 10 seconds. i've been told that's how the system tells you it's low from back in the old'n days. you can hear it too and it surges slight power of the truck itself. just barely.... i always hated it

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
when i'm running the heater, the clutch on the end of the compressor will spin for about a second about every 10 seconds. i've been told that's how the system tells you it's low from back in the old'n days. you can hear it too and it surges slight power of the truck itself. just barely.... i always hated it
Disconnect the clutch plug to save wear and do it doesn’t load and unload so much

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Disconnect the clutch plug to save wear and do it doesn’t load and unload so much

ended up (i said it today in the "what have you done to your square lately" thread, my dad had pointed out that my trucks AC has already been converted to R134 in the past, so we ended up charging it and the thing blows cold air! Compressor is working as it should, no terrible shrieking sounds or nothing. Crazy thing to see after being told "it hasn't worked for years"

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
ended up (i said it today in the "what have you done to your square lately" thread, my dad had pointed out that my trucks AC has already been converted to R134 in the past, so we ended up charging it and the thing blows cold air! Compressor is working as it should, no terrible shrieking sounds or nothing. Crazy thing to see after being told "it hasn't worked for years"
Nice

I found my old 77 LTD had r12 charge left over from 91 but it wasn’t enough to work but it clearly hasn’t been leaking lol I sold it to someone who was able to reclaim it and I applied vacuum tk the system, wouldn’t hold vacuum. It bled off in 20 minutes but would hold a bit after that. strange. So you say you charged it.. did you vacuum the system? Moisture will KILL it if it’s got any, it’s proper to evacuate and pull vacuum for hours before hooking up gauges and adding refrigerant. And of course then using a scale to get it to the right poundage

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Nice

I found my old 77 LTD had r12 charge left over from 91 but it wasn’t enough to work but it clearly hasn’t been leaking lol I sold it to someone who was able to reclaim it and I applied vacuum tk the system, wouldn’t hold vacuum. It bled off in 20 minutes but would hold a bit after that. strange. So you say you charged it.. did you vacuum the system? Moisture will KILL it if it’s got any, it’s proper to evacuate and pull vacuum for hours before hooking up gauges and adding refrigerant. And of course then using a scale to get it to the right poundage

no we don't have the technology to recover what was in it, only added two 12 ounce cans and trying it from there. If things go to crap really fast i may invest in some tools to recover and charge more properly

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Low refrigerant may cause frequent clutch cycling. However, the system is a cycling clutch orifice tube (CCOT) design, so sometimes the clutch is just working as designed, especially in defrost mode in cool weather.

The A/C just cools at the maximum rate until the plenum temp gets to a certain point (about 35 degrees, IIRC), and then it cycles off. When you move the temp slider it mixes that cold air with hot air from the heater core and you get the temp you want. Newer cars have more complicated systems with variable compressors and other designs, but the squarebody A/C is much simpler.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Low refrigerant may cause frequent clutch cycling. However, the system is a cycling clutch orifice tube (CCOT) design, so sometimes the clutch is just working as designed, especially in defrost mode in cool weather.

The A/C just cools at the maximum rate until the plenum temp gets to a certain point (about 35 degrees, IIRC), and then it cycles off. When you move the temp slider it mixes that cold air with hot air from the heater core and you get the temp you want. Newer cars have more complicated systems with variable compressors and other designs, but the squarebody A/C is much simpler.

explains why it would cycle when i'd be using the defroster, yes

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guillermoariast