A/C Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
I have a complete A/C system in my 1980 High Sierra, and ever since i've bought it it doesn't work. ALTHOUGH my ac compressor clutch alerts me that it's low on freon, so perhaps i just need to put some in? Surely i'ts not that simple. I do need to convert from the classic R12 to R134a in order to charge it up. Anybody know any great kits for Squares? Thanks...

Joshua Keith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
If you can figure out how to mount and operate a variable displacement v5 you can have a working one with a louder than **** bearing for a fair price(joke)

so your system works now. Is yours a pancake compressor or a cylinder shaped one. Technically both are but I mean longer than the pancake which is short.
If your system is technically leaking, do you know it’s still r12 most conversions done by pros will have a label placed over your refrigerant label stating the pounds required and usually oil type

if it’s a pancake and leaking, suggest new lines and different compressor
If it’s a not pancake and leaking, suggest determining leak source and proceeding from there

a leak can be determined by applying vacuum on the system. if the leak is large enough to not seal itself on vacuum.

If you want to convert it from r12, you just need to replace the fittings, clear the system (flush recommended), vacuum that for a good many hours, fill with desired replacement refrigerant snd oil. Oil and compatible refrigerants etc can be a fun one. But to fix the initial problem of a leak, you should do the system o rings. That’s also a really good idea on a conversion. Something about an orifice tube, idk what it does but it’s important.

If you just wanna say **** it, yolo, evacuate the system, buy enough r12 and a set of gauges for r12 and refill it to the proper pounds and put a lil oil in and see how fast it leaks.
If it takes years cool, if it takes days I’m sorry r12 is expensive.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I have a complete A/C system in my 1980 High Sierra, and ever since i've bought it it doesn't work. ALTHOUGH my ac compressor clutch alerts me that it's low on freon, so perhaps i just need to put some in? Surely i'ts not that simple. I do need to convert from the classic R12 to R134a in order to charge it up. Anybody know any great kits for Squares? Thanks...
The cheapest conversion is to change the drier, replace o rings, flush oil, install proper fittings for gauges, and fill oil amd refrigerant charge to spec of new refrigerant whatever it may be. Make sure oil is compatible

it’s either cheaper or on par with adding r12 amd seeing what happens. Regardless it will be some money sadly. The alternatives past that is where it’s skyrocketed

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Sometimes you can get by with adding R12 if the system remained sealed, but you are still living on borrowed time. R12 is also relatively hard to find and most shops don’t still have the ability to recover it. They have moved to all R134a equipment for recharging and recovery because that’s the current market.

Tell us which compressor you have - either the flat R5 mounted up near the front of the engine, or the long heavy A6 that extends back along the driver’s side valve cover.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Sometimes you can get by with adding R12 if the system remained sealed, but you are still living on borrowed time. R12 is also relatively hard to find and most shops don’t still have the ability to recover it. They have moved to all R134a equipment for recharging and recovery because that’s the current market.

Tell us which compressor you have - either the flat R5 mounted up near the front of the engine, or the long heavy A6 that extends back along the driver’s side valve cover.
and r1234yf the up and coming..

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
poor picture, sorry

my dad suggested switching the fittings, didn't know if there was like "THE fittings" to use for the swap. Figured i'd start there

You must be registered for see images attach

Joshua Keith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
poor picture, sorry

my dad suggested switching the fittings, didn't know if there was like "THE fittings" to use for the swap. Figured i'd start there

You must be registered for see images attach

I’m not sure if there’s any way to find a leak other than putting Freon/dye in and charging the system. Then you would have to evacuate the system again to repair the leak. With R-12 being so pricey that could be a large bill. So your options are

You can rent a vacuum pump and gauges from Autozone/oreilys. Not sure if they have R-12 gauges tho.

1. •Replace the drier. 20$.
• Refill with R12/dye (Price ??) Depends
• Hope it’s a slow leak or repair it and recharge.

2. •Replace R-134 drier 20$
•Replace compressor with R-134 200$ ish
• R-12 to R-134 fitting conversion 10-20$
•A/c flush 15$
• Freon 20$
• Freon dye 5$
• O-ring kit 2$
•Orifice tube 2$
•Pag Oil 6-10$
•New A/C lines or buy a compressor adapter plate that will allow you to use your original lines. 100$

Joshua Keith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Best I ever got was 28F at the vents - this was with a new Sanden. I thought something would freeze up at that point (yeah - ME).....but guy who did the vac/charge said because its under pressure, it wouldn't. Dunno.

In August of 2003 we drove to NE to meet a guy from SLC UT to swap cars - he wanted mine I wanted his. My car was dark gray with black leather....and the AC didn't work. Even with the windows down we had to stop - she was about sick from the heat. After that, there were many times I had a black / black leather car...so it had to snow in the car for the wife's sake. One day we were out driving - was 102F out and she asked me to turn it down because she was cold.

Mission accomplished. :hat:

Joshua Keith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Best I ever got was 28F at the vents - this was with a new Sanden. I thought something would freeze up at that point (yeah - ME).....but guy who did the vac/charge said because its under pressure, it wouldn't. Dunno.

In August of 2003 we drove to NE to meet a guy from SLC UT to swap cars - he wanted mine I wanted his. My car was dark gray with black leather....and the AC didn't work. Even with the windows down we had to stop - she was about sick from the heat. After that, there were many times I had a black / black leather car...so it had to snow in the car for the wife's sake. One day we were out driving - was 102F out and she asked me to turn it down because she was cold.

Mission accomplished. :hat:
Ha! I’d say so! Give OP some pointers! Maybe I’ll get colder temps while driving. Only read temps at idle So far.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

How exactly does your compressor alert you that its low on freon?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76