91 suburban big block

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rt66paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
paul
Truck Year
1991 suburban
Truck Model
Engine Size
I have a bad head gasket, I think. The coolant seems to be disappearing and it is not leaking outside the engine. I only have 140k on the vehicle. If I have to get someone to do the work(I am handicapped) and the heads come off, I want to check them out, do a valve job at least. I am in Ca, so smog is a problem, if I were to use older heads, which ones will work? Will I be able to use the same chip, if I go with a higher compression set of heads with better than the peanut ports? I am afraid of Ca smog, they want to get all big blocks off the road, so if I change out the chip, they may give me a lot of grief. Is there anything that can be done to the peanut heads that will make the performance better? I don't want a race car, but would like to be able to tow a midsize trailer, it has the full trailer setup with the towing package chip.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Normally, a blown head gasket will be accompanied by overheating and excessive pressure in the cooling system.

Older heads should not be used, the coolant passages changed enough in the '91-'95 motors that it is likely you would end up with coolant in the oil. You can use aftermarket heads (they fit both generations) or the '96-'00 heads. However, upgrading the heads won't really gain much without ditching the tiny factory cam.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad