89-91 Blazer Grill, all chrome???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnnydefacto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Dually 3+3
Engine Size
My 89 Dually crew has the same grill as the 89-91 blazer, with the mini quad lights. My grill is broken and unrepairable, and the chrome is peeling from the grill and the bezels.

I see replacements for fairly cheap, but they all appear to be the same, chrome and silver. I want a grill that is completely chrome, not just the flat areas. I have not seen one in all my searches online, EBAY, LMC, Amazon, and numerous aftermarket shops online.

Is my only option to get an OE replacement and then have it chromed by a shop?

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Might as well be searching for a unicorn. Nobody makes a completely chromed oem style grill due to the high production costs and low (no) demand. Chroming plastic requires more than 30 steps to produce a durable finish that will stand up to outdoor exposure. You can go the cheap route with shops that do spray chrome or vacuum metallizing but it wont last very long. True nickel copper plating of plastic requires specialized equipment that most chrome shops don't have. If you manage to find one that can handle something as large as a front grill, expect to pay $750-$1000 for the work.

johnnydefacto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Dually 3+3
Engine Size
Might as well be searching for a unicorn. Nobody makes a completely chromed oem style grill due to the high production costs and low (no) demand. Chroming plastic requires more than 30 steps to produce a durable finish that will stand up to outdoor exposure. You can go the cheap route with shops that do spray chrome or vacuum metallizing but it wont last very long. True nickel copper plating of plastic requires specialized equipment that most chrome shops don't have. If you manage to find one that can handle something as large as a front grill, expect to pay $750-$1000 for the work.

Thank you for your help.... on to plan B i guess.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Yikes!!! I would have never guessed that chrome plated plastic was sooo freakin expensive. I gave up and went with billet with my build. The p.o. had a peeled chrome grill that I didnt think twice about replacing. The hot weather here in Az. kills everything plastic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising