'87 V1500 2" Lift Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
@Redfish my '79 had a winch bumper and brush guard (350/350/203 & A/C). The welding shop way over built the brackets for this as the bumper was originally intended for a GMT-400 and the brush guard was for a Jeep J-10. It was heavy. No issues with sag in the 3 years it was set up this way. They measurements I gave in my previous post were the week I sold it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Joshua Keith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
@Craig 85 what size lift on that?
@Redfish Thanks! Took a lot of work to get it there. The tires are 285/75/16’s. I think the diameter comes out to around 33”. No rubbing whatsoever.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
@Craig 85 what size lift on that?
@Redfish Thanks! Took a lot of work to get it there. The tires are 285/75/16’s. I think the diameter comes out to around 33”. No rubbing whatsoever.
The '79 had a 4" Tuff Country EZ Ride. 33x12.50x16.5's (32.8"). My K30 has 305/70R16's; they are also 32.8" tall.

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I’d be able to give you a better ride review if I had been swapping from a stock setup. The previous owner had a 3” body lift and 2 added leaves on the front (4 total) and back.

Did the ez-rides improve the quality? lol absolutely. But it was basically a dump truck before.

That thing is GORGOUS!

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
So I was about to pull the trigger on the Tuff Country EZ-Ride front leaf springs...but I noticed that they are recommended for small blocks only. While I have no intention of swapping out my 350, I do plan to install a winch and winch bumper. If I do that I am concerned that I may overload my 2 inch lift springs and go too far down in the nose. Those springs are $282 EACH and I would hate to waste that money and time.

I had no idea making a decision was going to be this difficult.
You should definitely figure out what your “permanent” setup will be engine/bumper/winch wise. Custom leaf springs will be the best riding setup short of a linked coil setup. But again, figure out what you’ll be doing weight wise, because custom springs are $500-700 each, or more than $2000 per set. Also keep in mind that many will want specific shackle setups too. I got longer shackles for the front and rear because the shorter ones don’t move enough for the amount of wheel travel a softer, long travel spring is capable of.

Trust me, one thing turns into a complete tear down pretty quick. Make an excel spreadsheet if you’re on a budget.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
@Frankenchevy I appreciate your advice. The Problem: I don't really know what I want my "permanent" setup to be. I have too many ideas and not enough organization. Half of my friends say to make this a show quality truck and the other half say to make it pretty but keep using it. My Plan was to set it up about like it would have been if I owned it in 1987 and had the money to set it up Just Right. But I get side tracked so easily...

I could drive it as it is right now and not worry about it at all. But I want it to be better. And it honestly rides and drives pretty rough right now. If it rode a bit better Mrs. Redfish might enjoy it a bit more too. She rides in it now but it could be nicer for her.

I don't rely on this old truck for my daily driver. I have a modern GMC for that:

I have another Hobby that I also use as regular transportation:

My son is on the Autistic Spectrum. He loves being around classic vehicles and he loves the fact that we can just get in the old GMC and drive it whenever we want. He doesn't care if it has a winch or not. He does love that it can drag logs and haul firewood and can pull the '19 AND our camper out when I got that rig stuck in my yard. This truck was an effort to get him engaged in something with me.

I am thinking that a more controllable front suspension, a new set of tires and a paint job should probably take priority over a winch and bumper I don't actually need...

68post

very, VERY, limited access member
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
84 K30 SRW Silverado, 85 C20 C6P
Engine Size
454, TBD
@Redfish Nothing beats original paint! And I think your truck looks awesome!
LOL..Josh I'll have to take some pics of my original white paint '84, your '85 looks so much better. Like a very well dressed, clean-cut N fit younger/shorter brother to mine.
I have different wheels, faded side trim, and chrome headlight surrounds w stainless center grille trim compared to yours but like the ways yours looks vs mine !!!

Joshua Keith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
@68post Well, thanks man. But I painted that thing in my garage lol It doesn’t look as good up close as it does in pics. I always admire original paint and oem parts.

68post

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
454, TBD
Well you have also reminded me to install my front bumperettes, think I have two sets now

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
@Frankenchevy I appreciate your advice. The Problem: I don't really know what I want my "permanent" setup to be. I have too many ideas and not enough organization. Half of my friends say to make this a show quality truck and the other half say to make it pretty but keep using it. My Plan was to set it up about like it would have been if I owned it in 1987 and had the money to set it up Just Right. But I get side tracked so easily...

I could drive it as it is right now and not worry about it at all. But I want it to be better. And it honestly rides and drives pretty rough right now. If it rode a bit better Mrs. Redfish might enjoy it a bit more too. She rides in it now but it could be nicer for her.

I don't rely on this old truck for my daily driver. I have a modern GMC for that:

I have another Hobby that I also use as regular transportation:

My son is on the Autistic Spectrum. He loves being around classic vehicles and he loves the fact that we can just get in the old GMC and drive it whenever we want. He doesn't care if it has a winch or not. He does love that it can drag logs and haul firewood and can pull the '19 AND our camper out when I got that rig stuck in my yard. This truck was an effort to get him engaged in something with me.

I am thinking that a more controllable front suspension, a new set of tires and a paint job should probably take priority over a winch and bumper I don't actually need...

That’s awesome. My niece and nephew are autistic. It’s great when you find something to connect with them on that they engage with.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
In my continuing research I found another 1987 V1500 for sale at Classic Car Liquidators in Sherman Texas. That truck is still sitting at stock height on stock springs with the same size tire (31x10.50-15) that I am running. I really, really like the stock look. I asked my favorite ex-brother-in-law and BigUn/Mrs. Redfish/Chief Financial Officer to look at that truck. The paint job and the height/stance were my questions.

I truly love the OE look but we all feel that a 4WD needs at least a little bit of lift and a little bit of extra tire to look "Right". BigUn/Mrs. Redfish likes the idea of EZ-Ride springs.

If I can get this pic to post, this truck is available for a mere $36999.99.

68post

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
454, TBD
To me the size is perfect for it's stance, of course a 2" lift would require an inch taller tire..., and so on.., and so on......

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
A little update...

After a LOT of research and a lot of consultation and a very helpful phone call, I just ordered a set of front leaf springs from Skyjacker Lifts. They are based out of Monroe, Louisiana and the tech support guy was very helpful. I ordered a 2.5 inch lift Easy Ride spring set. I already have a complete set of new bushings on hand. I ordered new U-Bolts and will have to order some new bolts for the hanger ends because I have a bad feeling they will get cut for removal.

Also ordered a set of tires...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK