87 v10 tbi harness bulk head diagram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Haro504

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm converting an 86 to tbi, I got an 88 camaro harness cut it down and it's about ready to install. So I went an picked up some parts from a guy off Craig's list today, and he had an 87 tbi harness from a truck he sold me for 10 bucks all most ready to go just needs a few repairs. It has the same type bulkhead connector and most wires look like they were the same but without tearing it apart to verify I don't know. I've been looking all day for a diagram and cannot find one. I've read that the harnesses can be swapped with computer controlled trucks but will the bulkhead connector from the 87 plug into the 86 (non computer controlled engine)and work right. I need a diagram to verify the wiring. Thanks for any help.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I'm converting an 86 to tbi, I got an 88 camaro harness cut it down and it's about ready to install. So I went an picked up some parts from a guy off Craig's list today, and he had an 87 tbi harness from a truck he sold me for 10 bucks all most ready to go just needs a few repairs. It has the same type bulkhead connector and most wires look like they were the same but without tearing it apart to verify I don't know. I've been looking all day for a diagram and cannot find one. I've read that the harnesses can be swapped with computer controlled trucks but will the bulkhead connector from the 87 plug into the 86 (non computer controlled engine)and work right. I need a diagram to verify the wiring. Thanks for any help.

Dup*

Last edited:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
86 and 87 bulkhead connectors will mate up, but are wired differently.
leave the 86 harness in, and run the truck harness as a stand alone., with a 7747 ecm, dont use the camaro setup, unless you are into chip tuning.

Haro504

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thank you much sir. I have a computer from a 92 5.7 manual 1500 I originally was going to use the harness as a stand alone like I did in my jeep but I hoped I would be able to just plug in the other harness. I should have known it wouldn't be that easy.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Thank you much sir. I have a computer from a 92 5.7 manual 1500 I originally was going to use the harness as a stand alone like I did in my jeep but I hoped I would be able to just plug in the other harness. I should have known it wouldn't be that easy.

You Can, if you can get the pins for the firewall cavity, but its really not worth the time and effort. All the 86 harness does is starting and charging system, and oil and temp gauges. I think there is a constant power and a brake switch wire that goes to that cavity in an 87. just snip those, and run them out by the ecm, and connect them inside.

Haro504

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I pulled the shield off the 86 harness last night and trimmed off the older excess wiring and It looks like it would be easier to just keep the 86 wiring and overlay the tbi wiring. Thanks for the help.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I pulled the shield off the 86 harness last night and trimmed off the older excess wiring and It looks like it would be easier to just keep the 86 wiring and overlay the tbi wiring. Thanks for the help.

Exactly...this also allows for more experimentation later down the road, like MPFI if you feel so inclined.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bats_67