'87 Toyota 22R Knock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

82chevyk10

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350/sm465
My cousin bought a '87 toyota with a 22r engine. It ran good when he first bought it, but it ran hot when under load. He had the thermosat, water pump, and fan clutch changed, but didn't help. Turned out to be timing the whole time. After the new fan clutch was installed he suddenly had a knocking sound coming from what sounds like the front of the engine in the area of the pulleys. The knock changes with rpm's. Could it be a faulty fan clutch or water pump?
I told him he should've bought the '84 gmc k20 that he was concidering before he bought the toyota.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Remove the belts and start it up. If it still knocks, it's something in the motor. If that's the case, fill it with gear lube, keep the RPM's from getting too high, and run it till it blows. It's hard to kill those gutless wonders.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Remove the belts and start it up. If it still knocks, it's something in the motor. If that's the case, fill it with gear lube, keep the RPM's from getting too high, and run it till it blows. It's hard to kill those gutless wonders.

Sorry have to dis agree with you SOMEWHAT, I would agree to remove all the belts to rule out any accessories causing the noise. But honestly I doubt that is what the problem is.

Some say those motors are hard to kill (such as your self) But they have there problems too. I have seen alot of these little gutless motors over the years and they truly are gutless, and IMO have alot of flaws. :shitsweak:

The 22R and 22RE are one of the noisiest little 4 bangers ever made. Mainly because of the valvelashes .008 intake and .012 exhaust specs. Another problem that they have that makes them so noisey is the crappy timing chain guides and tensioner. If the OP problem is the chain guides or the tensioner failed, Then because they are interference motors they are gonna be looking at a big bill to repair the head. and possably the pistons.

There are more problems with the cooling system that I wont get into because its irrelevent to the curcumstances.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Now wait a minute, I never said they were bulletproof:wave: And I don't like them either, haha.

But I do know we had one as a yard truck at the junk yard I worked at. It had a lower end noise and we ran gear lube in it, as far as I remember, it never did quit running.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Now wait a minute, I never said they were bulletproof:wave: And I don't like them either, haha.

But I do know we had one as a yard truck at the junk yard I worked at. It had a lower end noise and we ran gear lube in it, as far as I remember, it never did quit running.

I hear ya. I also had one back in high school in a celica that had a rod knocking it wasnt the lower end that finally let go though. it was the chain

82chevyk10

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350/sm465
We removed all the belts today and started it. The knock was gone. So the next was what pulley. The crank shaft pulley on them is a 2 pulley design with a third pulley bolted on the outside of it. The third pulley had a lot of movement. We tried to removed the four bolts the held it on. Two came out trouble free, but the other two broke off with very little effort. With the third outside pulley of i noticed that there was two cracks at on the bolt holes and the metal between the cracks moved and would just about fall out. We found a just yard that has the crank shaft pulley and the third pulley that we can get tomarrow. Figure it would be easier to just get both instead of trying to remove the broke bolts. Hopefully once we get the replacement pulley's and belts back on the knock will still not be there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef