87 radiator replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Both of my Spectra Premiums were made in Canada. Not sure if that's still the case, however.

I also don't quite understand the aversion to plastic tanked radiators. Every OEM vehicle for the last 25 years has had one, and in my experience, they hold up very well.

they leak where the plastic tanks clamp onto the radiator, plastic becomes brittleover time etc.

Alum. and brass can be welded should they start leaking and worst case is cut off repaired adn rewelded.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
they leak where the plastic tanks clamp onto the radiator, plastic becomes brittleover time etc.

Alum. and brass can be welded should they start leaking and worst case is cut off repaired adn rewelded.

To each their own, I guess. I've had more aluminum radiators leak than plastic-tanked.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
To each their own, I guess. I've had more aluminum radiators leak than plastic-tanked.

Well...that's the point. Aluminum radiators if leaking can be soldered and repaired. Plastic tanks, deteriorate over time and will crack or explode.plastic tanked radiators are all about the oems saving $$$$ on production costs.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E

Well...that's the point. Aluminum radiators if leaking can be soldered and repaired. Plastic tanks, deteriorate over time and will crack or explode.plastic tanked radiators are all about the oems saving $$$$ on production costs.

I just prefer not to have to mess with draining coolant, pulling the radiator, drying it, welding it, reinstalling it. I'll keep running my $$$ saving plastic tanked radiators, of which I've never had failure, and not mess with all that. ;)

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I'll keep running my $$$ saving plastic tanked radiators, of which I've never had failure, and not mess with all that. ;)
Consider yourself lucky.:)

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I just prefer not to have to mess with draining coolant, pulling the radiator, drying it, welding it, reinstalling it. I'll keep running my $$$ saving plastic tanked radiators, of which I've never had failure, and not mess with all that. ;)

the only radiators I have had leak were plastic tanks and the only fix is to remove buy a new one and reinstall, so its not much less than other radiators.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Misty Blue