87 3/4 Burban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
It really comes down to what you are comfortable with and how much you value ride quality. Even if it's not a daily driver, I prefer not to have my gear tossed all about the rig while going camping and I like my coffee to stay in it's mug too.

And as a side note, blocks work perfectly fine in the rear, so long as it's not a high horsepower and/or manual transmission truck. The factory 56" rear springs are a nice piece of engineering, may as well keep them and save money there. If rear blocks are absolutely a concern, a shackle flip kit is cheaper than aftermarket springs, especially ones that will actually flex well like the factory springs.

Why not a manual? Potential to dump the clutch and apply too much torque maybe? Versus the auto which wont let you do enough at once, maybe?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Why not a manual? Potential to dump the clutch and apply too much torque maybe? Versus the auto which wont let you do enough at once, maybe?
Ohhhh, an NV4500 3/4 ton Burb would make my sticker peck out.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Right. Even with normal driving, it puts higher shock loads on the drivetrain.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Right. Even with normal driving, it puts higher shock loads on the drivetrain.
Correct. Because an auto is hydraulic and provided somewhat of a cushion, where manuals are solid steel gears with no give or cushion whatsover. When I was racing my Muncies, I broke more **** than I care to talk about. Driveshafts, rear ends, U joints etc. Once I went 3/4 ton and bigger parts, that **** stopped but then I started breaking the Muncies. Those are not cheap to rebuild or replace. So my long time buddy that kept telling me go automatic and I refused, he caught me broken with a broke counter gear so I had not gears. No like I could skip 2nd and go to 3rd, I was dead in the water. So he gave me a good Pontiac Th350 to put those guts into a Chevy bell housing bad Th350 I had laying around. Converted to Automatic. Didnt' have a shifter. So I had to pull the partk brake and get under the truck and put it in D to get to work for 2 more weeks until I could buy a shifter. When you idle at 1100 rpm cuz of the big cam, and running a stock stall converter. Talk about scared shitless getting under that truck while running and put it in D, then feeling that quick lurch forward. Glad the rear brakes were good the park brake held good. What I did start doing after about a week. I realized I could get under it and put it in D, then start it up in gear since I didn't have any P N safety wires to the starter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby 406