85 D30 aftermarket A/C kit, suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmTrent

Reaction score
First Name
Trent
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30
Engine Size
GM 6.2L 8 Cylinder Diesel Engine
I'm new here. Looking to buy an 85 D30 (military auction). It has no A/C by default and that is a deal-breaker, unless I can install an A/C kit.

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to vehicles (im a computer engineering student), so I'm coming to you all for some advice.

Is it practical to buy an A/C kit to put in this truck. If so, anyone recommend any specific kit? Is it time consuming to install an A/C kit.
The last thing, would you recommend me NOT getting this truck for any reason?

Thanks for help.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
That D30 will be one hell of a truck that will likely last longer than you do. It is a no-holds barred worker though. The only creature comforts it will have will be power steering and brakes, otherwise its all truck. Be prepared to bust knuckles though, you are looking at a piece of serious hardware that will require serious maintenance. Aftermarket AC is a pain, and you will need to find a kit that fits a dual alternator 6.2 diesel so there may not be many options. My opinion? Buy it and deal with no AC. Its not too bad and the truck is worth it. Good luck, and welcome to the forums!!!

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
1. they are only called D30 on the title, its confusing. Your better off calling it a CUCV

2. convert to 12v and remove one alternator

3.find a truck/blazer with a factory 6.2 with AC

4. pull all parts from said truck onto your truck

please reread my post. I said you should find a truck with a 6.2 and ac to take the parts off, not the whole truck. Also you can convert the truck to 12v and that would eliminate one alternator

Last edited:

gmTrent

Reaction score
First Name
Trent
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30
Engine Size
Aftermarket AC is a pain, and you will need to find a kit that fits a dual alternator 6.2 diesel so there may not be many options. My opinion? Buy it and deal with no AC. Its not too bad and the truck is worth it. Good luck, and welcome to the forums!!!

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, it just doesn't seem practical right now. Both me and my wife would share this truck, and we live somewhere with high temperatures and very high humidity, so a/c is a must. Maybe once I finish school and have a bit more time to own and maintain a beast like this.

3.find a truck/blazer with a factory 6.2 with AC
These are hard to find, especially with less than 50k miles on it like the one im looking at. The main point though, was getting this truck for cheap through auction. Oh well though, thanks for the reply.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
You would be surprised how sweet having one of these trucks is. If you can get it cheap, don't let it get away. The conversion to 12v is not particularly hard, and there are aftermarket kits that will work well at that point to put in A/C if you really feel the need. However, it sounds like what you really need is something a bit less... rugged. If A/C is really that important you may be better off looking at a non-military model with factory A/C. There are plenty out there!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
With or WITHOUT AC, Get the truck !!! That's a No Brainer !!! GET IT !!! Can we ask what price you're getting it for?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
With or WITHOUT AC, Get the truck !!! That's a No Brainer !!! GET IT !!! Can we ask what price you're getting it for?

Yes!!!!!!! Do It!!!!!!! Do It NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gmTrent

Reaction score
First Name
Trent
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30
Engine Size
However, it sounds like what you really need is something a bit less... rugged. If A/C is really that important you may be better off looking at a non-military model with factory A/C. There are plenty out there!

Well, I DO want something that's rugged, and will last forever. I can handle discomfort, but where I live, people die of heat stroke when outside too long - now imagine inside a truck, in traffic. I do want the military vehicle, but for safety sake, if AC is possible why not?

Another question, and please forgive my ignorance: I read about under-the-dash A/C kits and kits made for vintage vehicles that didn't have AC by default. Is this any different or will there still be the same problems?

Oh, and how did the M1010's have AC, they were 24V also right?

Last edited:

gmTrent

Reaction score
First Name
Trent
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30
Engine Size

It's an auction so you can ask, but I can't answer. I could possibly get it pretty cheap compared to something off of craigslist. I have seen many trucks like this in auction that I want, but all on the other side of the country - this is one of the first within 150 miles of me.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Not sure about the 1010, but in this case you will likely need to get an under-dash system like you mentioned for a 1985 C10/20/30. You may have to cut some stuff out to get it under there, and you will have to convert the truck back to 12v to do it, but all that work is not bad. It will help you learn the truck.

If you want rugged... that military iron box will be it. Not to mention you will be able to tow/move just about anything you want.

And I understand the A/C thing. Being from Florida with a broke AC in my dually... Things tend to get soggy in dark places...

gmTrent

Reaction score
First Name
Trent
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30
Engine Size
you will likely need to get an under-dash system like you mentioned for a 1985 C10/20/30. You may have to cut some stuff out to get it under there, and you will have to convert the truck back to 12v to do it, but all that work is not bad. It will help you learn the truck.

Alright, doesn't sound too bad - possibly something that can be done in a weekend or two. Also, I have read these things are VERY slow, and I make long, out of state drives pretty frequently. I read about people putting turbos in them, but they are too expensive. Are there any other options here, and what about price?

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
Im telling you man, the easier way for you to have ac is to convert the cucv to 12v(very common thing) this will eliminate one of the alternators. Then with the room you have from the alternator removing install a factory AC system from a truck from a junk yard

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Im telling you man, the easier way for you to have ac is to convert the cucv to 12v(very common thing) this will eliminate one of the alternators. Then with the room you have from the alternator removing install a factory AC system from a truck from a junk yard

This will probably be the cheapest route overall - though maybe not the best if now he is talking about power too.

If you want more power - you are probably talking a turbo. A turbo and all of its associated hardware will not fit well in the engine bay when you have an OEM A/C suitcase right where the downpipe wants to go. If money is no object, under-dash A/C and a Banks turbo will do exactly what you need here - but for big $$. Expect to pay more for those two items than you did the truck.

I'm thinking you may be expecting rather a lot out of what is supposed to be a workehorse truck. Is it low on power? Yes. It will probably top out at 65-70 and take forever to get there. Will it tow a house or climb a mountain? Yes and it will love every minute of it. Is it comfortable to drive? Hell no! You think the US Govt cares whether their soldiers are comfortable or not? At least in this case they were aloud to use a vehicle at all!

It sounds like what you are looking for is a strong truck with A/C and the basic creature comforts. While a CUCV may be cheap at the auction, the things you will need to get the creature comforts will either be a total pain, or be very expensive. Instead, I would recommend you look for a solid and straight 3/4 ton single cab long box K20 with a 350 in it and A/C. Hell you may even get power windows out of it. You will basically be able to do just as much with the truck (as it sounds like you really wont need the 1.5 ton capacity of a CUCV), you will be more comfortable in the end, and it will likely end up cheaper overall. Just keep in mind that aftermarket A/C could cost upwards of $2k, as could a turbo setup.

I also failed to ask earlier - do you wrench on cars much already?

gmTrent

Reaction score
First Name
Trent
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30
Engine Size
This will probably be the cheapest route overall - though maybe not the best if now he is talking about power too.

I'm thinking you may be expecting rather a lot out of what is supposed to be a workehorse truck. Is it low on power? Yes. It will probably top out at 65-70 and take forever to get there. Will it tow a house or climb a mountain? Yes and it will love every minute of it. Is it comfortable to drive? Hell no! You think the US Govt cares whether their soldiers are comfortable or not? At least in this case they were aloud to use a vehicle at all!

It sounds like what you are looking for is a strong truck with A/C and the basic creature comforts. While a CUCV may be cheap at the auction, the things you will need to get the creature comforts will either be a total pain, or be very expensive. Instead, I would recommend you look for a solid and straight 3/4 ton single cab long box K20 with a 350 in it and A/C. Hell you may even get power windows out of it. You will basically be able to do just as much with the truck (as it sounds like you really wont need the 1.5 ton capacity of a CUCV), you will be more comfortable in the end, and it will likely end up cheaper overall. Just keep in mind that aftermarket A/C could cost upwards of $2k, as could a turbo setup.

I also failed to ask earlier - do you wrench on cars much already?

I understand it is a piece of work equipment, and not a BMW. I'm just reading a lot about the pros/cons and asking about the ones that might matter to me so I know what I'm getting into. I do like this truck, I do like that it is a tank. I LOVE that it is diesel. It would be a miracle if a diesel chevy built like this one were to pop up on craigslist in my area with less than 50k miles on it (and if it did, It would cost an arm & leg).\

The reason I asked about speed is because I was reading that some topped out at like 55, which is way slow. I can live with 70 and even 65 no problem (I'm not looking for a racecar). But in the case it does top out at 55, I read that taller tires can fix that problem. I also read about people re-gearing them, but I'm not sure of the cost and effort for that.

And I don't wrench on cars. I changed a timing belt in a 2000 Camry once and it was awful. I DO want a "simple," tough vehicle that I can learn to work on myself though.

I definitely want this vehicle (or a similar CUCV), I'm just trying to figure out what can/can't be done with reasonable funds and effort before I buy one.

gmTrent

Reaction score
First Name
Trent
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30
Engine Size

No worries, I will if I get it :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaddyg8