85 D30 aftermarket A/C kit, suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If the heat is that big of an issue, Surely it's only an issue 3 months of the year, June, July and August.... is it possible to have a different vehicle for those 3 months? I could do without AC in lieu of a CUCV for certain without a doubt. And that's worse case scenario if you don't get AC worked out. Think of what our guys are doing in Afghanastan wearing all that gear.

gmTrent

Reaction score
First Name
Trent
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30
Engine Size
GM 6.2L 8 Cylinder Diesel Engine
If the heat is that big of an issue, Surely it's only an issue 3 months of the year, June, July and August.... is it possible to have a different vehicle for those 3 months? I could do without AC in lieu of a CUCV for certain without a doubt. And that's worse case scenario if you don't get AC worked out. Think of what our guys are doing in Afghanastan wearing all that gear.

To tell the truth, I went the whole summer without A/C last year AND the driver window wouldn't roll down. Let me also mention that I was a delivery driver (delivering hot food). So that car got VERY hot inside. I can handle the heat, and my wife can too, but we don't WANT to.

I want a good truck and I want A/C in it. And if that is possible, and not at unreasonable cost, why not? Yeah, I know I could buy a civvy that has A/C, but not at auction price. If you can find a diesel civvy with less than 50k miles in the southeast US for about 1-2k above normal CUCV auction price (to include the upgrade costs) let me know.

Another question for you guys, there is and engine and trans oil analysis available for the vehicle, but I have no clue what normal levels should be. Could someone point me somewhere that shows an analysis on a 6.2 with normal levels?

Picture of analysis attached

Attachments

• oil analysis.jpg
    oil analysis.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 85

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
When I was driving long haul, we were encouraged to consider oil analysis. What I heard was that the analysis was a benchmark for that specific engine. You use the first one to compare against the future ones for that engine. That isn't to say that there aren't numbers that would jump out at you but the idea is that you compare your engines numbers against your engine. You don't even compare them against your buddies engine that left the assembly line 5 minutes after yours.

gmTrent

Reaction score
First Name
Trent
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30
Engine Size
When I was driving long haul, we were encouraged to consider oil analysis. What I heard was that the analysis was a benchmark for that specific engine. You use the first one to compare against the future ones for that engine. That isn't to say that there aren't numbers that would jump out at you but the idea is that you compare your engines numbers against your engine. You don't even compare them against your buddies engine that left the assembly line 5 minutes after yours.

So you don't think the 30.82 ppm for Copper or 18.4 ppm Silicon in transmission is cause for alarm?
Although I now understand it is just a testing reference, I came across a table with indications(kind of like a general guideline). Please let me know if it's a good general guideline to go by, even though I have no previous oil analysis to compare to. I just want trust that I can drive the thing home if I get the bid. (The inspection said it runs, and it sounded good in the short video clip).

And btw guys, I really appreciate the informative responses.

Attachments

• oil analysis guidelines.jpg
    oil analysis guidelines.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 76

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
They may be cause for concern or not. The only way oil analysis is really effective for an engine or transmission is through regular analysis so you can track how things change. The numbers you were concerned about were in the expected range for oil, but I don't know if those numbers are supposed to translate over to transmission fluid. Both the numbers you mentioned were right in the middle of the expected range and I probably would not worry about them at this point. If you had a previous report that showed copper at 22 PPM then I would be concerned because there is a big change in wear.

I don't know if you can use the same table for expected wear from an engine as you would for a transmission. They are two different animals with different wear components and materials and lubricants. If you want to do that for your transmission you need a guide that shows you what to expect for your transmission.

I may be wrong on this as it has been a long time since I even thought about oil analysis, but I beleive I have the basics correct. If your numbers giving you pause are for your engine, I'd say you are probably ok based on the table you attached. If those numbers are for your transmission, I have no clue as you haven't included anything to compare to a transmission.

I hope that helps you out, @gmTrent.

gmTrent

Reaction score
First Name
Trent
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30
Engine Size
Alright, so I'm surfing around for an A/C kit and wanted some opinions/suggestions. I came across this one: http://nostalgicac.com/complete-ac-...ry-m-1008-m-1009-truck-blazer-a-c-system.html

Would this one be too much harder than an under-dash system to install? Please leave suggestions, or if you have had any experience installing A/C kits your insight would be super helpful.

Note: I would rather have an under-dash system because I read for these in/behind dash systems you need to do some cutting for vents (and I would rather not cut up a perfectly good dash).

gmTrent

Reaction score
First Name
Trent
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30
Engine Size
Ok guys, I am trying to bid on it now, but not sure what a good m1008 is worth (it is in working order). Any suggestions? Already past $3k. How much is too high?

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
It depends on ho much you want the thing. I would not go past $5-6k myself, but that is just me. Plenty of good regular civi c/k's out there for the same price at that point. Again - it depends on how much you want a military monster!

gmTrent

Reaction score
First Name
Trent
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30
Engine Size
It depends on ho much you want the thing. I would not go past $5-6k myself, but that is just me. Plenty of good regular civi c/k's out there for the same price at that point. Again - it depends on how much you want a military monster!

Pretty badly, but I would like to be able to pay for school more lol. If i don't win this one, I will get one eventually - probably when I graduate and get a job related to my degree.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
they sell between 4-6k on those auction sites

Forum statistics