84 GMC white smoke raw feul smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

19gmc84

Reaction score
First Name
Norman
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
84 GMC...350...Holly fuel pump, Edlebrock carburator...notice the last couple starts...short burst of white smoke with rich gas smell at startup...other than that...engine started and ran fine...I have noticed it runs very high at idle like choke is stuck when first started up...have to punch gas and it idles back down...figured that was because of cold weahter...out of blue...start it last night...an extreme amount of white smoke coming out of exhaust and almost smells like gas itself...engine cut off...tried starting again...turned key and heard thump sound under hood...almost like starter wasn't working...engine wouldn't turn at all....then was able to get engine to turn over by doing nothing at all...just waiting a minute or two and trying again...but white smoke still pouring out of exhaust and hearing very loud knocking noise in motor and won't stay running unless you constantly give it gas....all the while...white smoke with extreme gas smell pouring out...

Help ! Any suggestions on where to start?

Last edited:

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
White smoke is usually an indication of coolant getting into the cylinders. I would do a compression test. Look at the spark plugs as you pull them out for moisture. Also the plug will be extremely clean if ran very much. The engine may have tried to hydraulic lock if it has a lot of coolant in a cyl. That would be a reason for the no start.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
blown head gasket

check the spark plugs like mentioned above, see if they are "green" tinted. another test is to take cap off radiator, fill to top. Crank truck and fill again to top, then hold RPM at 2000 and watch for what looks like boiling water. that is hydrocarbons entering the coolant system.

19gmc84

Reaction score
First Name
Norman
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
White smoke is usually an indication of coolant getting into the cylinders. I would do a compression test. Look at the spark plugs as you pull them out for moisture. Also the plug will be extremely clean if ran very much. The engine may have tried to hydraulic lock if it has a lot of coolant in a cyl. That would be a reason for the no start.

Thanks very much for reply...will try it out...

19gmc84

Reaction score
First Name
Norman
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thanks to everyone who replied...I just bought this truck and not really used to driving a vehcile with a carburator...when it didn't initially start...I pumped the gas a couple times...is it possible I simply flooded the engine to an extreme? I mean truck was running excellent before this.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
What does the oil on the dipstick look like?

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I second that on checking the dipstick. My dad's 98 just had a catastrophic head gasket failure a few weeks ago and now the oil is canadian geese **** looking... hope yours isn't like that.

19gmc84

Reaction score
First Name
Norman
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
What does the oil on the dipstick look like?

Haven't had a chance to look at that yet...but will...I know the angle your going with that as far as maybe head gasket...will say this...I've had truck for three weeks and first thing I did was change oil and of course check that before I bought it...and oil gave no indication that coolant was mixed in...

19gmc84

Reaction score
First Name
Norman
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I'm fearing it may be head gasket though...maybe that's why I started seeing the smoke coming out a little bit on the last few starts and then all hell broke loose on the last start? Thanks to everyone posting...until I can take a look at it tonight or tomorrow...please keep the thoughts coming and I'll update my findings. Thanks everyone.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yes you could have flooded it, yes it could have a stuck choke or something.

I usually unhook the choke and just use my foot, pump a few times, fire it up, keep patting the pedal lightly until it can idle on it's own, then let it warm up more if cold out or drive off if warm.

do as they said, check the radiator, it can be oily black nasty in it, or smell of gas in the radiator, the oil can be milky or mustard looking. So you have to just check it.

other then doing it yourself or having to pay someone to do it, a head gasket on these are cheap, like $20 or so, you can even find complete gasket sets for $30-50 for it.

19gmc84

Reaction score
First Name
Norman
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yep, checked dipstick last night...water in oil...so...I'll be tearing it down and let everyone know what's up.

Anyway I can tell if it's a cracked block...hate to put everything back together only to find out the block is cracked...buddy told me I could use a cynlider leak down tester to verify that...but I hear from others that that test can't separate what's actually wrong whether it be cracked block or gasket.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
If there is a crack in the head or the block you should be able to see it. Look in all the cylinders and around the valve areas of the heads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rowdy_80