84 c10 not running right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NCTyphoonKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Korey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado R10
Engine Size
the truck hasn't been running well I went to back it into my shed last night and it was a little of a incline and the truck just didn't want to go it was spitting and sputtering and trying to shut off. it also likes to fall on its face when the rpms drop in 2nd and 3rd gear but 3rd gear especially. it still tries to fall on its face and die if I try to give it full throttle when taking off from a stop or driving and I stomp it and it starts trying to spit and sputter, it did shut off a couple times too. :whymewhyme: its a 305, turbo 350 trans, 4 barrel quadrajet. It starts pretty easy have to pump the gas bout 5-8 times for it to start up when its cold. I'm not sure where to start but the drivability just isn't great right now, its really been bugging me too because its just been so sluggish and not wanting to run great at all.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Check your base timing. When it gets cold out, the clamp can loosen enough for the distributor to rotate, and given the direction of rotation, the body of the distributor will always rotate retarded. This can result in what you are seeing.

NCTyphoonKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Korey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado R10
Engine Size
Isn't there a wire I need to disconnect to find the base timing

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yep, it's a tan wire with black stripe. There is a connector that pops out of the loom. It should either be behind the distributor or over by the brake booster. Disconnect that wire, set timing to 0* BTDC, then reconnect the wire. Oh, and disconnect the battery (-) terminal and reconnect it to clear the code.

NCTyphoonKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Korey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado R10
Engine Size
Timing was way off on it its much better now but the carb needs some adjustment as well I think.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Or a rebuild kit, plus plugging the well holes. They start to leak, then it idles badly rich.

Glad the timing check helped.

NCTyphoonKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Korey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado R10
Engine Size
Or a rebuild kit, plus plugging the well holes. They start to leak, then it idles badly rich.

Glad the timing check helped.

It was rebuilt about 2-2 1/2 yrs ago so I wouldn't think it'd need to be rebuilt again? If not I could upgrade but idk I've contemplated on putting a ls engine in it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP