84-86 3 speed manual steering column

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zieg85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
7.4L
I am searching for a 3 speed column (3 on the tree) with all the linkages including the levers on the transmission from a 1984 or newer with the integrated wiper/dimmer switch on the turn signal lever.

zieg85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
7.4L
OK found everything but the levers that bolt on the transmission. Does anyone have any on a parts truck or a transmission sitting on a shelf. I'd like to even see a picture if anyone has a 3 speed column shift set up.

zieg85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
7.4L
Found everything I needed, 6+ year search completed

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Sorry no one could help and honestly I don't think I've ever seen a 3 on the tree past 1980 models.

zieg85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
7.4L
Sorry no one could help and honestly I don't think I've ever seen a 3 on the tree past 1980 models.

No problem, endless searching between eBay, Craigslist and Facebook I finally found everything I needed. 3 on the tree trucks were mainly bought as work trucks and discarded many years ago. I bought this 1986 C10 back in 2007 with 70K original miles. The shift collar was broken so the previous owner put an inexpensive floor shifter which is how I bought it. I started my search back then and it kinda went on the back burner. I started back looking about a year ago and never gave up. It took parts from 4 sources to piece together everything. Now I can finally finish it the way I want to. Mind you it hasn't seen the street since 2007.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
I know the base of three spd columns wear out where the linkage hooks up and I hear they don't make replacement parts for that. Did you find one not worn or did they start making parts for them?

zieg85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
7.4L
I know the base of three spd columns wear out where the linkage hooks up and I hear they don't make replacement parts for that. Did you find one not worn or did they start making parts for them?
I found a good one...I hope

friscobob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 10
Engine Size
My daily driver is an 81 with 3 on the tree. Not that there is any reason you should have ever seen it.

Qwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7/T56
No problem, endless searching between eBay, Craigslist and Facebook I finally found everything I needed. 3 on the tree trucks were mainly bought as work trucks and discarded many years ago. I bought this 1986 C10 back in 2007 with 70K original miles. The shift collar was broken so the previous owner put an inexpensive floor shifter which is how I bought it. I started my search back then and it kinda went on the back burner. I started back looking about a year ago and never gave up. It took parts from 4 sources to piece together everything. Now I can finally finish it the way I want to. Mind you it hasn't seen the street since 2007.

Do you happen to remember those sources, or have any manuals that break down the column?

My shifter, on the column, is what broke on mine. It will only shift 1st and reverse and just kinda hangs there. The shifting mechanism inside the eng compartment is fine.

--Craig

zieg85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
7.4L
Do you happen to remember those sources, or have any manuals that break down the column?

My shifter, on the column, is what broke on mine. It will only shift 1st and reverse and just kinda hangs there. The shifting mechanism inside the eng compartment is fine.

--Craig

I don't have the break down, sorry. My column shift collar is broken, the rest may be fine. If you can figure out what you need and I what I have is still good you are more than welcome to it. 84-87 columns only are hard to find in the midwest.

Qwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7/T56
I don't have the break down, sorry. My column shift collar is broken, the rest may be fine. If you can figure out what you need and I what I have is still good you are more than welcome to it. 84-87 columns only are hard to find in the midwest.

Thank you! Hopefully I can get on it this week.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe