8-track player install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JBswth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
292 cubic inches
Show machine? Trying to understand why when there is modern plug and play available. Cool, yes! Led Zeplin full blast, yes! But……no way will it it match the sound quality of a modern deck. IMHO
Problem with modern units is that they don't look right for one thing, and if we have 8 track tapes, we want to be able to play them, for another.

J. B.

JBswth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
292 cubic inches
I'm surprised no one mentioned 4 track tapes. They started about the same time as the 8 tracks but were short lived.

My first car, 1964 Plymouth came to me with no radio. For $20 used I bought a stand alone Motorola 8 track with a built in amp. Made to mount under the dash, my first mod, cut the dash hole and mounted it in the dash. Got a few years out of it until it quit I bought new, but discounted combo 4 track/ 8 track player.

The big difference how he two different tapes work was the 4 track cartridges had no roller. After you put in the 4 track, you moved a lever to lift the roller up into the cartridge. Since this was a combo unit the play head did not change tracks automatically. The unit had a knob to turn, to move playback head up and down.

This unit gave me the advantage of buying 4 track tapes now found in the bargain bin.

The original 8 track tapes sounded better than the early cassette tapes. Improvements to the cassettes finally pushed out the 8 tracks.
Actually the 4 track was first. Earl "Madman" Muntz came out with them and the players. That is the same Madman Muntz that sold the Muntz Jet car.

JBswth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
292 cubic inches
Problem with modern units is that they don't look right for one thing, and if we have 8 track tapes, we want to be able to play them, for another.

J. B.
Yes indeed. I have no desire to put a modern radio in my Squarebody. I still play my 8 track tapes, just like I still play my phonograph records.

J.B.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara