79 K10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zachary

Reaction score
First Name
Zak
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hello Everyone,

I am looking to get some advice on fixing up my K10. Got a 5.7SB, just replaced the Carb with a 600cfm Offroad Quick fuel, New Cam, valve springs (seal and keepers too), new gaskets for everything, new plugs and wires gapped at .050, hot coil with a new distributor, new mechanical fuel pump. Truck ran good for a week and now its spitting black fluid out of the right exhaust pipe and if I turn the truck off from the initial run, it takes god awful forever to start back up; just sits there and cranks. Any idea what those two issues could be?

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I've moved this out of the Introduction subforum and into a more appropriate subforum to get more notice since this isn't a "hello, here I am" type thread.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Hello Everyone,

I am looking to get some advice on fixing up my K10. Got a 5.7SB, just replaced the Carb with a 600cfm Offroad Quick fuel, New Cam, valve springs (seal and keepers too), new gaskets for everything, new plugs and wires gapped at .050, hot coil with a new distributor, new mechanical fuel pump. Truck ran good for a week and now its spitting black fluid out of the right exhaust pipe and if I turn the truck off from the initial run, it takes god awful forever to start back up; just sits there and cranks. Any idea what those two issues could be?

Can you provide more detail about the black liquid. For example; does it seem like water or oil, does it have any odor, does it come out of the pipe the entire time that the engine is running or does it stop when the engine is warmed up?

Have you noticed any loss of coolant?

I would pull and inspect the plugs on the RH side. See if they give you any clues. If you find any or all of them to be coated with black soot, that would point to an overly rich mixture.

If I turn the truck off from the initial run, it takes god awful forever to start back up; just sits there and cranks

Does that mean to say that; it starts up easily when cold and only requires extended cranking when warm?

These types of carbs have no choke correct? So, if that is the case, it can't be that your choke plates are not opening.

Buy a can of starting fluid. The next time you have trouble getting the engine to fire, shoot a quick blast of the starting fluid down the throat. If it fires right up...that would indicate a lack of fuel.

All of the above suggestions are just WAG's.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eri24