74 c10 lowered shock issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greensweets

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I did all the lowering on my c10 with every single brand new component available,I'm using CPP 2" lowering spindles,2.5" mccaughleys drop coils and nitro drop shocks. I'm using the shock supports up on the frame and relocated the lower a arm shock mounts to make it run more free and not bind up. My issue is that the truck is on stock 15" rally's and with the lowering components I would say it's lowered 4.5 " in front but the shocks bottom out when the truck is sitting there but they are supposedly drop shocks for 4-6" drop,so when I'm driving little by little the shock wants to force its self off the shock rubber on top ,do I just need longer shocks? But will longer shocks make the truck sit higher?

SkinnyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
G
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
350/TH350
Can you post a picture of your setup?

With the reasonable drop you have, you should be perfectly fine with stock length shocks.

If your front drop was ALL spring, a shorter shock would be good.

What did you do out back? There are shock extenders for the back axle which are a good idea, but on mine I found I ~still~ needed a shorter shock (fully loaded, the bed sits on the pumpkin, and the shocks are fully bottomed) - I run 4WD ~front~ shocks on the back.

Greensweets

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Drop issues

Out back I used a flip kit with the same shocks I have no issues with ride in the back just up front,I'm using nitro drop shocks for a 4-6 drop and they bottom out right when I lower the truck on the ground ,it's only coils and spindles up front no bags or anything crazy but they bottom out and I have no ride up front and it's trying to force the shock collar off of the rubber because it's not free and has no where to go

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 402

glockholiday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban 1/2 ton 4x4
Engine Size
Looks like you need shorter shocks. Or your mounts are too close together. And no, shocks will not change your ride height, that's not how they work, they just dampen the movement of the suspension.

Greensweets

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Ok so shorter? I would of thought longer shocks so they wouldn't compress so much and leave some play room to move up and down,explain please,and what u mean too close together? Side to side closeness or the upper from the lower mount? And what do u suggest to fix it? I know I'm not the only one who has used this same set up and had this same issue so what can be done to fix it? Can't be to much to it honestly

SkinnyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
G
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
350/TH350
Shorter, so that at ride height it is not bottomed.

These were shocks I experimented with on a Nissan Hardbody I used to own:

You must be registered for see images attach

It could be that you were sent the wrong shocks.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
X3 on needing shorter shocks, or if you have a welder, weld the top mount higher. Sounds to me like they sent you the wrong shock for the application. I would also say that the 2.5" drop coils are closer to 3.5" with the sag. Its possible that the drop coils are squatted more due to having a 350 (more weight than say a 6 cylider on the coils). Are your drop coils close to each other? In the past on another build, I received 2.5" drop coils but they were specified for a v6 instead of a v8......needless to say, I was sent the wrong coils and the truck was deeper in the weeds then I had planned. I swapped them out for the correct application and all was well.

Btw...I have McGaughy's 3" drop spindles, 2.5" drop coils and my front end is closer to 6" of total drop. I have stock length nitrogen charged front shocks.

Shorter shocks=shorter stroke. Lifted trucks have MORE wheel travel...so longer shocks are needed. Lowered trucks ...less travel...shorter stroke (shorter shocks) since the bottom mount is CLOSER to the top mount due mainly to installing a drop coil.

Last edited:

Greensweets

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Ok so what shocks are awesome for the front for the drop I have? Give me a exact shock to get because I need someone who has this setup and has tried them already! Plus I want a little comfort if I can get it,I don't care the price I just need it to work

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Ok so what shocks are awesome for the front for the drop I have? Give me a exact shock to get because I need someone who has this setup and has tried them already! Plus I want a little comfort if I can get it,I don't care the price I just need it to work

You can use stock replacement shocks with no issues. Ive read more than once that these supposed drop shocks are bottoming out.

Greensweets

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Really stock length? When I first encountered this issue it had happened on one side only and I had to buy a temporary shock until I ordered the matching one,when I put it on it was fully compressed also and this was before I got the shock supports. Idk if stock would be worth buying until I know it will for sure be the right length and give me some play to move,why do thy make different length shocks then for different drops?
This is how she sits

Attachments

• _storage_ext_sd_Pictures_SWEETS_IMG_20160816_072936.jpg
    _storage_ext_sd_Pictures_SWEETS_IMG_20160816_072936.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_0113.jpg
    IMG_0113.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 380

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Why doesn't it look like the upper control arm busing is installed far enough.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Really stock length? When I first encountered this issue it had happened on one side only and I had to buy a temporary shock until I ordered the matching one,when I put it on it was fully compressed also and this was before I got the shock supports. Idk if stock would be worth buying until I know it will for sure be the right length and give me some play to move,why do thy make different length shocks then for different drops?
This is how she sits
My 82, 78, my friends 84, my other friends 84 have been lowered 4in to 5in with drop spindles and cut or drop springs all running stock shocks. Hell my first square back in '86(pic below) was dropped with cut springs and stock spindle didn't have a shock bottoming out issue.

Attachments

• 604.jpg
    604.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 267

Greensweets

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Ok so if I just go to the parts store and get two stock replacement front shocks I shouldn't have any issues? Just standard 2wd shocks for a 74 c10?

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Ok so if I just go to the parts store and get two stock replacement front shocks I shouldn't have any issues? Just standard 2wd shocks for a 74 c10?
Yes, I used Monroematic. They are $25 each at O'Riellys. As long as your lower shock mount mod didn't alter the stock shock travel.

Last edited:

Greensweets

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Well I did move the bottom mount from the stock location Just a bit but it's basically in the same area as u can see,so it is moved a bit so I'm wondering if this is why I'm having issues but I moved it for a reason because the stock location after I did all the lowering work was not running free and it was binding up and wearing the shocks out like right away literally and forcing the eyelet mount off the rubber after hitting a few bumps so I moved them to make them run more free and I'm still having issues

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 287

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD