73-80 Squarebody XJ Steering Shaft Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gilderbeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
1. Get a 88-96 XJ/Regular Cherokee shaft.

2. Unbolt rag joint from your stock steering shaft and remove the rag joint from the steering gear box.

3. Heat up your stock steering shaft where the two small holes are. Propane or Oxy Acetylene will work. This melts the plastic inside the shaft. Pull the lower shaft from the upper.

4. Take your 88-96 XJ shaft and heat it up at the two small holes until the plastic inside melts and seperate it like above.

5. Take off the dust caps on both universal joints of the XJ shaft. (I did this all in a bench vise)

6. Remove the end pieces of the 88-96 shaft and swap them around as you need the D shaped splined coupling.

7. Reinstall the dust caps.

8. You will most likely have to cut about 1" from the end of the 88-96 shaft for play/bodyflex. Cut if you have to. Test fit before cutting.

9. Slide 88-96 XJ shaft into the Squarebody upper steering shaft and then lower the D shaped spline coupling all the way onto the steering gear box and install bolt with locktight/threadlocker in the coupling.

This eliminated the steering slop in my truck for only $12. Below is the link for a video I have made to try to explain and visualize at the same time. Hope this helps.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
Very nice!

mrburitto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Cheyenne Camper Special, C30 Crew Cab Dualy
Engine Size
350, 496
Awesome. Thanks for the video. Im gonna go hit the salvage yard for an xj shaft.

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
about 15 years ago my buddy and I put a Borgenson shaft in his 70's Dodge. Looks pretty much the same as that shaft. There was a set screw that held the joint onto a flat on the steering box input. After installation I didn't like that it was just a setscrew and told him to stop at the parts store down the street and get a nut to lock down the setscrew...He called later that night and said the shaft came off, he lost steering and centered the truck on a tree...yeah, he didn't put the locknut on like I told him to.

Gilderbeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
about 15 years ago my buddy and I put a Borgenson shaft in his 70's Dodge. Looks pretty much the same as that shaft. There was a set screw that held the joint onto a flat on the steering box input. After installation I didn't like that it was just a setscrew and told him to stop at the parts store down the street and get a nut to lock down the setscrew...He called later that night and said the shaft came off, he lost steering and centered the truck on a tree...yeah, he didn't put the locknut on like I told him to.

I edited mine to remember locktight/threadlocker lol thanks

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Retro’s thread doesn’t cover pre 77 according to his first post but I’m too lazy to go back and read all of it to see if someone covered the early years. Value added here if not.

Gilderbeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
On 73-80?

The splined shaft on the steering column went away in '79. It works for '79 and later, early years needs some parts swapped around.

Gilderbeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
The splined shaft on the steering column went away in '79. It works for '79 and later, early years needs some parts swapped around.

My column is a 77. I made it work. If you swap the ends around on the XJ shaft and then separate the shaft it will work. You take out the lower steering shaft then slide the XJ shaft over the excess stock shaft in the photo.

Gilderbeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
73-79 with Splined Column as shown in the picture. (Thought it went to 80 for spline. I assume this could work this way to 87-91 as well).

You keep the circled in red piece on the original column. Seperate the lower shaft with the tag joint by heating the middle until the plastic melts. Its toxic don't breathe it in.

Last edited:

Gilderbeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
Toss this portion in red. You dont need it. Junk garbage.

Gilderbeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
Take your XJ shaft and switch the ends around. I used a bench vise.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
90sBurb