'73-'76 turn signal switch not universal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I finally got around to taking a more detailed look for my turn signal switch after I found out the other new one I bought was not going to work. It looked different when I first took it out of the package and when I put it up to the one in my truck, '74 C10 with tilt, yep for sure it was for some later year. That's okay because it is a new switch and the wires are correct, they're just to far apart in the wire connector, the thing that plugs into the other plug on the underside of the column. I can always cut the wires and splice them directly to the other wires.
So I found a year specific switch that had the correct plug that goes to the turn signal switch and the pin outs are close together like in my truck.
This kit came from Carparts.com p/n ARBC504302 for $24.99 plus s&h, tx.. Comes fully assembled and ready for install.
You must be registered for see images attach

Below is how my plug looks like in my truck, close together with a slight separation between the light blue wire, can't recall right now what it goes to, and the black wire which is the horn wire.
You must be registered for see images attach

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Forget what year they changed,but as you noticed they did. There used to be an adapter offered for them as well. Not sure if it still is or price on it so your way may be better!

Quick link - 1st I saw:

Well, that's cool, but NOT the one. It is a little combo pigtail like that, though.

This appears to be both the switch and the adapter.

Last edited:

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My '74 has the adapter harness, compliments of the previous owner.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Goldie Driver,

Yeah, I saw those. Is that what those things are? I didn't know what those things were for. I never thought it may have been an adapter for the early harness. Thanks.
I took a bit looking at the spacing on the pin out to find the right one. I looked in some of my catalogs but they were for fifties and sixties harnesses, and up to dang '72. Whenever I see something in some catalog I'd like to gert then I see that dang number, it'll say, "...up to '72". GM must have made some kind of detailed changes in '73 because some of those parts look just like the one in my truck until I take a closer look and it is different from my '74. Then I have to keep looking.
I'll try to take some pics when I put the turn signal harness in because people have differnt ways of doing it. One site I found said to tilt the column all the way down and that's supposed to open the space up more to get the connector down in the column. But I'm not concerned about it I've had the thing apart so many times I could do it in my sleep. I'm looking forward to getting my turn signals working like they are supposed to. I'm tired of turning the signal on and off manually.
You know it's supposed to have a detent for lane changing? I didn't know that until I read it in my factory manual. I thought, " I've never done that before. I didn't even know that it was supposed to do that." I never put my finger on the lever and felt a place where it would make the signal work without it going all the way to turning the signal on.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Rickf,
Why was there a adapter on your '74 turn signal harness? Was there something on it from a later truck at some time?

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
@Raider L

That 1st link makes it look like the 72 and prior switches may have the round connection instead of the rectangular plugs.

Maybe- I have not played with one. Did not cate for that round body style in high school and when I finally decided I did like them it was too late as prices had already gone up.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Well, I was going to try and get out there and put all this stuff in, but you can call me a wuss or not, man, I just can't motivate myself to get out in 100 degree heat and mess with a turn signal switch. Heck, at 3:00 AM it's 85 degrees! When the daytime high is 85 then I'll get out there and do all the stuff I need to do, and the list is getting longer and longer!
All I have to do is wait about five or six more weeks and the temps will start back down.
It cracks me up to hear my sister tell me about how hot it was, she lives in Canada about 40 miles Northeast of Detroit, when the temps got to 80 the other day. Oh poor thing. Come to Louisiana where it's 102. I do feel for you guys in Nevada and Arizona with a day time high of 112-115 though. The sheet metal gets so hot you can't even touch it without sever burns in about one second. The other day I was running an errand and when I cranked my truck I glanced at the water temp. gauge, you know just checking instruments at start up, and the truck had been sitting in the shade for two or three days, and the engine temp was already 123 degrees. It hadn't been running but about fifteen seconds. And no, the temp gauge isn't busted. The engine had soaked up so much heat from the ambient air it was already hot, sitting in the shade!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod