71 Cutlass S

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Hey guys, been away for a couple of days. But in the Meantime, i got asked if i wanted to buy a 71 Cutlass S.

It has a HEALTHY 455 in it with a pretty nice cam :D . The 455 is backed by a T-56 suposedly out of a viper. The car is Goldish yelllow with a White top, It has a W-29 Hood on it(the one with the side louvers. The interior is Black with White Buckets. It has 295/50's on cragers out back and, 215's on cragers up front. True dual 3" running thrue flowmasters dumping befor the axle.
Ive fallen in love with this car.....

He Told me 5500.
Now the hard part......

I need to figure out were im coming up with 5500........

It looks like this, except with a White top and a single white stripe between the hood humps.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Maybe I am jaded here, but... what is wrong with it? He came seeking you, so he wants to get rid for some reason. And it seems like a really good price, almost too good, if it is in great condition. My instincts tell me if this car was legit, he would have no reason to sell it, or he would have his buddies lining up to buy it. Something is missing from this picture to me.

I also want to get you thinking about it. This has the feeling of an emotional buy for you. You have fallen in love with the car, I fully understand that. That will also make you overpay for something, just because you WANT IT! Ask me how I know...

I really like these cars too. Almost bought a true W-30 about 10 years ago. I have never said I regret NOT buying it. I have regretted buying a '73 Camaro, which happens to my favorite body style. Payed way too much, sold for way too little. Emotional buy on my part, and one I will never do again. Sleep on for two weeks, then see how you feel then. You are still young (right? I forget...), there will be more toys in your future if you do things right. If you don't have the money right now, it's not the right time for you to buy this.

Sorry if I sound like a dad... actually no I'm not! I am one, and this a lesson my dad tried to teach me. I didn't really learn it until I experienced it. Thanks for listening.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
Something came apart in the 10 bolt. Im going to put a 12 bolt in it.
The car is NOT matching numbered. It was originally a auto car on the column. The ******* befor the guy im getting it from cut the floor for a fuel cell.
It has a wicked lunati cam in is :D

I was going to start at 3500 and work from there.

woodsrider250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350-Qjet
If the car looks anything like that one, with a nice interior, it's worth $5500 no doubt. Kind of a half restomod sounds like. Does it have AC? Most of the S's did. Was it originally a stick car? S car with a 4sp is kinda rare. Originally a 455 car? Minor 'enhancements' like the w29 hood, t56, etc are nice, and not bastardizing. Closest to stock unaltered always worth more, but sounds like it may have been tastefully improved. Stock base model 350R's go for that these days if rust free.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
That pic looks shopped to me...

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
If the car looks anything like that one, with a nice interior, it's worth $5500 no doubt. Kind of a half restomod sounds like. Does it have AC? Most of the S's did. Was it originally a stick car? S car with a 4sp is kinda rare. Originally a 455 car? Minor 'enhancements' like the w29 hood, t56, etc are nice, and not bastardizing. Closest to stock unaltered always worth more, but sounds like it may have been tastefully improved. Stock base model 350R's go for that these days if rust free.

Yes, its an AC car, but the compressor is missing..... And it was originally an auto on the column, but if i get it my dad knows of a console and a floor shift column. (he screwed a shifter boot to the floor......) Unsure if its originally a 455 or 350 car. The carpet looks new, and the dash looks refurbished(NICE condition) It has auto meter guages and a AM/FM/CD deck in it. The white buckets could be redone, they are still together but the padding is going flat. The only negative on the car is that the guy befor the guy im getting it from cut the trunk floor and put a fuel cell in it...... He also relocated the battery to the trunk, but he put the battery on the wrong side....

That pic looks shopped to me...

I dont know if it is, i found it on google and used it as a reference....

Last edited:

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The only negative on the car is that the guy befor the guy im getting it from cut the trunk floor and put a fuel cell in it......

To me this seems like a huge negative. For a car you will want to drive on the street a fuel cell is not necessary. Everybody will say it's fine blah blah blah.... now there is no trunk room, the floor is cut just inviting moisture in to start rust, and if you do take it to the track make for damn sure the installation was done correctly to pass tech. Of course it is all reversible, but it sounds like you don't have the funds to jump in and take care of it immediately.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
To me this seems like a huge negative. For a car you will want to drive on the street a fuel cell is not necessary. Everybody will say it's fine blah blah blah.... now there is no trunk room, the floor is cut just inviting moisture in to start rust, and if you do take it to the track make for damn sure the installation was done correctly to pass tech. Of course it is all reversible, but it sounds like you don't have the funds to jump in and take care of it immediately.

On the contrary, if i got it my dad has a parts car for my moms, and we could rob the trunk pan out of that one. But yes, i live on gravel and the dust LOVES even the smallest pinholes into trunks. IF i do get it, it will get a normal tank again.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
New trunk pans are cheap... just sayin'.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
And it's a Cutlass S, not a 442, so that drops the value down considerably. May not be a bad deal if all that is wrong is the rear end and trunk pan.

So does it run off the fuel cell now? Or an OEM gas tank? And why would you need to cut a hole in the trunk for a fuel cell? Why couldn't it just be strapped down in the trunk?
Does it still have the fuel cell in it and the OEM fuel tank? Sounds like it might be a candidate for a wet N20 system. Run your pump gas in your OEM tank and some E85 in the fuel cell to squirt with the N20.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
And it's a Cutlass S, not a 442, so that drops the value down considerably. May not be a bad deal if all that is wrong is the rear end and trunk pan.

So does it run off the fuel cell now? Or an OEM gas tank? And why would you need to cut a hole in the trunk for a fuel cell? Why couldn't it just be strapped down in the trunk?
Does it still have the fuel cell in it and the OEM fuel tank? Sounds like it might be a candidate for a wet N20 system. Run your pump gas in your OEM tank and some E85 in the fuel cell to squirt with the N20.

No HR, The OEM tank is gone, he put a rear pickup Fuel cell mounted in the floor in it with an electric fuel pump.
I agree, he should have put a hidden cell in the trunk, but aparently he liked the old look of the tank pickup under the rear valence.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Lets see some pics of the car dude :)

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
Ok, ill get pics tomarro "mabey".

But im not sure if ill get the car at this time. Its hard for a 17yo with a million projects to come up with and swing 5.5k. The cars going to stay with the owner for now, and hell, mabey fate will swing my way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76