700r4 vs Th350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Midwest4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So I took my rig mudding about a month ago and I got it suck and when I was trying to rock it out of the mud I ****** up the tranny... Would it be worth rebuilding the 700r to handle 400+ hp and 35"+ tires or build the th350? I wouldn't mind the lower 1st gear and the OD of the 700r... This truck won't be driven daily, I'm trying to build it into a trail/mud rig..

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
first question you need to ask yourself do you really need the OD gear of the 700r4

Midwest4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
first question you need to ask yourself do you really need the OD gear of the 700r4

True, but it would be nice to have if I had to drive it somewhere, I'm leaning toward the Th350 just because it's a stronger trans..

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So I took my rig mudding about a month ago and I got it suck and when I was trying to rock it out of the mud I ****** up the tranny... Would it be worth rebuilding the 700r to handle 400+ hp and 35"+ tires or build the th350? I wouldn't mind the lower 1st gear and the OD of the 700r... This truck won't be driven daily, I'm trying to build it into a trail/mud rig..

If you really want to keep the Overdrive, and one other benefit of the 700r4 is a lower first gear. You get a 3.07:1 first gear in a 700r4, and a 2.52:1 in a Th350, so it's a full half of a turn different and will give a hair more torque out of the hole. But, yes you can build a 700r4 to handle 400-450hp. It's not going to last as long as a Th350, and the Th350 will tolerate more abuse.

What you need to do is find you an 87 up, and preferably an 88-93 K case core. If you can't find a K case core. The K case is a 4x4 case. If you can't find one, then get a 2wd 87-93 core and use the output shaft out of your current 700r4.

The reason you want an 87 up case core is the auxiliary valve body update. That valve body has what's called an Abuse Valve in it. It's to bypass the normal fluid passages when rocking the vehicle and you get a quicker D to R, R to D response without ******* up your transmission. As said, the 88 up is even better, but at the bare minimum get an 87 or later.

Midwest4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If you really want to keep the Overdrive, and one other benefit of the 700r4 is a lower first gear. You get a 3.07:1 first gear in a 700r4, and a 2.52:1 in a Th350, so it's a full half of a turn different and will give a hair more torque out of the hole. But, yes you can build a 700r4 to handle 400-450hp. It's not going to last as long as a Th350, and the Th350 will tolerate more abuse.

What you need to do is find you an 87 up, and preferably an 88-93 K case core. If you can't find a K case core. The K case is a 4x4 case. If you can't find one, then get a 2wd 87-93 core and use the output shaft out of your current 700r4.

The reason you want an 87 up case core is the auxiliary valve body update. That valve body has what's called an Abuse Valve in it. It's to bypass the normal fluid passages when rocking the vehicle and you get a quicker D to R, R to D response without ******* up your transmission. As said, the 88 up is even better, but at the bare minimum get an 87 or later.

That must be what my buddy was talking about the other day.. But he had the yrs messed up... I'll look into that.. There's a few T-Cases from some 88-98 on a forum off Facebook for sale

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The lower first gear of the 700r4 is nice. They can be built to handle a lot of abuse, but IMHO it is still not a great option if a lot of highway driving is in it's future. It will still tend to run hot and get cooked without steep gears, but then you kind of lose the benefit of overdrive. But off road it should hold up fine and low speed power will be good especially with steep gears.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That must be what my buddy was talking about the other day.. But he had the yrs messed up... I'll look into that.. There's a few T-Cases from some 88-98 on a forum off Facebook for sale

88-98 Tcases are Driver side drop. You can get a Tcase out of a Square up to 91, even a NP241C will work but you need to consider the manual speedo vs electronic speedo too. What's wrong with your current Tcase? It'll fit any 700r4.

Midwest4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Nothing is wrong with the 208, works like a charm.. Only thing that's wrong is the trans slipping in 1st

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
88-98 Tcases are Driver side drop. You can get a Tcase out of a Square up to 91, even a NP241C will work but you need to consider the manual speedo vs electronic speedo too. What's wrong with your current Tcase? It'll fit any 700r4.

Your talking about pick ups being drivers side drops right? Not Burbs.

About that 241. I heard someone mention that they were available with a speedo cable in early models. Is that true ? Happen to know what year ?

There was someone on here a while back wanting to go from cable to wire on his 208. It got me thinking as I need to go from wire to cable on my 241, but when I looked at it again I don't see how to make it work. I remember some 4x4 mag saying its a direct swap but im thinking they were smoking something funny cause I don't see how it can. Any Ideas ?

Maybe I should start a post on it ?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Your talking about pick ups being drivers side drops right? Not Burbs.

About that 241. I heard someone mention that they were available with a speedo cable in early models. Is that true ? Happen to know what year ?

There was someone on here a while back wanting to go from cable to wire on his 208. It got me thinking as I need to go from wire to cable on my 241, but when I looked at it again I don't see how to make it work. I remember some 4x4 mag saying its a direct swap but im thinking they were smoking something funny cause I don't see how it can. Any Ideas ?

Maybe I should start a post on it ?

Yes, I am referring to pick ups in the new GMT400 Body Style after Squares. They are driver side drop Tcases, so unless you plan on putting a Ford front axle in your square, the GMT400 body style Tcases do us no good.

Yes, the earlier NP241C Tcases are Speedo Gear instead of Electronic Reluctor wheel. I believe, not positive, but I believe that is a 89 Only. I think the 88's still got the NP208, then 89 got the NP241C, then 90 and 91 also got the NP241C but the speedo is electronic. @RetroC10Sport would probably be the one to confirm for certain.

Yes, it is a direct swap IF the speedo isn't an issue. Alot of those 4x4 mags are intended for people who are making an off-road toy and a speedo isn't necessary. So as far as replacing your NP208 with a NP241C, yes, same driveshafts, adapters, crossmember, shifter linkage and all are compatible. Speedo is the only issue of concern if you need it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
cable driven 241C was 1989 square only.

Woo Hooo, I got 1 right !!! Maybe my memory is starting to work again. That Ginkobuloba must be working.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Yes, I am referring to pick ups in the new GMT400 Body Style after Squares. They are driver side drop Tcases, so unless you plan on putting a Ford front axle in your square, the GMT400 body style Tcases do us no good.

Yes, the earlier NP241C Tcases are Speedo Gear instead of Electronic Reluctor wheel. I believe, not positive, but I believe that is a 89 Only. I think the 88's still got the NP208, then 89 got the NP241C, then 90 and 91 also got the NP241C but the speedo is electronic. @RetroC10Sport would probably be the one to confirm for certain.

Yes, it is a direct swap IF the speedo isn't an issue. Alot of those 4x4 mags are intended for people who are making an off-road toy and a speedo isn't necessary. So as far as replacing your NP208 with a NP241C, yes, same driveshafts, adapters, crossmember, shifter linkage and all are compatible. Speedo is the only issue of concern if you need it.

Just keepin you on your toes LOL I knew you knew :)

THat 4x4 mag was saying that the 208 speedo would direct swap into the electronic 241. So I still think they were smoking something.

Do you think you can buy everthing as replacement parts from a transmission shop or something?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fnny6770