700R4 TV (Throttle Valve) Cable Adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
That is some awesome info there, thanks.

chubble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe K10
Engine Size
So just to now have to start a new thread with the same info and since some other guys might have the same question...

I went and looked under the hood yesterday and this is what I saw:
attachment.php

I have owned this truck for 2 years and never realized it before...pretty embarrassing. I don't know if it broke off at some point or has never been hooked up in the 2 years I have had it.

The geometry correction bracket doesn't seem to be connected right at all and there is not a way to easily connect the TV cable that is there.

Weather is getting cold and I don't have much time on my hands, you guys think I should just run it by a trans shop and let them get it adjusted properly and spend the ~50 bucks or should I spend the time getting it right myself even if I can't get around to working on it for the next couple weekends and it is my DD.

Attachments

• tv cable.jpg
    tv cable.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 906

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
So I have always noticed mine had just a little bit of a hard shift from 1-2 but still overall ran pretty darn awesome. Anyway I rebuild my Quadrajet the other day (which works amazing now) so I decide I should readjust my TV cable seeing as I removed and reinstalled my carb.

Cant seem to get it set up right now. just a little off, but enough to seriously piss me off. Anyway after a couple days of adjusting and driving around the block I came to the realization that the slider on my cable is not being pulled out when I adjust my cable. Its about an 1/8 inch shy of doing so.

This is really weird as I am using the stock GM bracket, shimmed up of course to keep it level with the carb on the edlebrock 2101. Im guessing somehow I have the wrong cable.

I found TCI has a bracket SKU 376700

Attaches your 700R4 & 2004R TV cable to a Carter® AFB™, Quadrajet™ or Edelbrock® carburetor.
Will not fit Performer series carburetors.

This bracket looks like it will move my cable housing 3/4 to an inch further away from the throttle shaft from where my current factory bracket is sitting. Just what im looking for.

Im gonna put that on and it should fix the problem. I also like that it attaches to the back 2 bolts of the carb, so it doesn't matter what kind of intake or how much spacing you use, the bracket will always be in the right spot and its small and non uglyish

sorry I still haven't figured out how to get pictures up on here.

Last edited:

BADAZ chevy guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So I have always noticed mine had just a little bit of a hard shift from 1-2 but still overall ran pretty darn awesome. Anyway I rebuild my Quadrajet the other day (which works amazing now) so I decide I should readjust my TV cable seeing as I removed and reinstalled my carb.

Cant seem to get it set up right now. just a little off, but enough to seriously piss me off. Anyway after a couple days of adjusting and driving around the block I came to the realization that the slider on my cable is not being pulled out when I adjust my cable. Its about an 1/8 inch shy of doing so.

This is really weird as I am using the stock GM bracket, shimmed up of course to keep it level with the carb on the edlebrock 2101. Im guessing somehow I have the wrong cable.

I found TCI has a bracket SKU 376700

Attaches your 700R4 & 2004R TV cable to a Carter® AFB™, Quadrajet™ or Edelbrock® carburetor.
Will not fit Performer series carburetors.

This bracket looks like it will move my cable housing 3/4 to an inch further away from the throttle shaft from where my current factory bracket is sitting. Just what im looking for.

Im gonna put that on and it should fix the problem. I also like that it attaches to the back 2 bolts of the carb, so it doesn't matter what kind of intake or how much spacing you use, the bracket will always be in the right spot and its small and non uglyish

sorry I still haven't figured out how to get pictures up on here.

I've been doing a lot of research and discovered that the Early. vs. late model Quadrajets have 2 different throttle brackets.
The top pic is an early mod (TH350 w/kickdown) Bottom pic is later mod (700R4 w/TV cable) Notice how the throttle plate has a sharper hook and the TV mounting pin is further forward. Almost behind the return spring hole. If yours is like the top pic you have the wrong geometry and the TV cable won't adjust properly.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Great Point Doug. Great way to show comparison pics too. Thanks for the input. Rep Given !!! Suggest others do the same too. Just hit the scales icon under Dougs info and approve a comment !!! :waytogo:

I'll probably copy this post to another thread or 2 also where it pertains.

BADAZ chevy guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thank you. I wasn't looking for reps, but it's nice to have one. lol

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Thank you. I wasn't looking for reps, but it's nice to have one. lol

You're not supposed to be looking for or expecting reps, but they're supposed to happen when you provide some help or tip that benefits the forum or another member. :waytogo:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Yes I am aware of the difference, but mine is the same as the newer style bottom pic that you posted.

I have got mine setup properly now. Once I got the slider to come out with the new bracket and slipped it back in one notch to make the cable taught as GM says it MUST BE TAUGHT AT WOT, it works and shifts great now. I think my gearing with tires is still causing a bit of an issue, but im working on that. 33" tires with 3.42 gears is not the best for a 700r4.

The TV cable attachment point is supposed to be 1 1/8 " below and 7/16 - 1/2" behind the throttle plate pivot point, at closed throttle.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Ok so I changed my intake and installed an eddy carb with the 700r4 correction bracket and used the 8036 eddy TV/throttle bracket which is only good for one or the other so I used it for the TV cable and used a modified GM bracket to work the throttle cable.

My truck now shifts like a performance car even though running 33s with 3.42s It is remarkable how well it shifts now. 1-2 is firm but not hard, 2-3 and 3-4 are instant shifts that are firm but not hard. It down shifts beautifully and is just very pleasant to drive :)

Thing is weve been talking on here about tire size and gear ratio affecting how these 700r4s shift and ive come to the conclusion that we were talking BS cause it drives like a dream now.

There is an ever so slightl difference between the correction bracket and the qaudjet linkage. So im thinking all these shifting issues are directly related to brackets and linkage on top of correct TV adjustment.

The only thing I changed was the carb/bracket and the TV cable bracket, Tire size increased 1 1/2 inches because of new rubber recently installed and all that equals = improved shifting.

So obviously tire size and gear ratio were not the problem.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
Ok so I changed my intake and installed an eddy carb with the 700r4 correction bracket and used the 8036 eddy TV/throttle bracket which is only good for one or the other so I used it for the TV cable and used a modified GM bracket to work the throttle cable.

My truck now shifts like a performance car even though running 33s with 3.42s It is remarkable how well it shifts now. 1-2 is firm but not hard, 2-3 and 3-4 are instant shifts that are firm but not hard. It down shifts beautifully and is just very pleasant to drive :)

Thing is weve been talking on here about tire size and gear ratio affecting how these 700r4s shift and ive come to the conclusion that we were talking BS cause it drives like a dream now.

There is an ever so slightl difference between the correction bracket and the qaudjet linkage. So im thinking all these shifting issues are directly related to brackets and linkage on top of correct TV adjustment.

The only thing I changed was the carb/bracket and the TV cable bracket, Tire size increased 1 1/2 inches because of new rubber recently installed and all that equals = improved shifting.

So obviously tire size and gear ratio were not the problem.

out of curiousity what are your rpms for the shifts?

do you get the 4-2 or 3-1 downshift?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
out of curiousity what are your rpms for the shifts?

do you get the 4-2 or 3-1 downshift?

you know what I have my tack down at the bottom of my dash so I will have to make sure I check next time I drive it.

Yes it down shifts on deceleration as well. I still find the 1st gear ratio to be to low. but aside from that small annoyance the transmission has never driven this well for me before.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
And I have done many WOT passes since the new stuff has been installed and nothing has changed it still drives great.

One note though I do notice that the tranny does shift better once it is warm.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
you know what I have my tack down at the bottom of my dash so I will have to make sure I check next time I drive it.

Yes it down shifts on deceleration as well. I still find the 1st gear ratio to be to low. but aside from that small annoyance the transmission has never driven this well for me before.

I meant when you are cruising in say 4th at 45mph, you floor it, does it go 4-3 or 4-2? Same for 3-1 but a slower speed. It is m understanding this is what is supposed to happen

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
i was starting to doubt my TV cable/transmission, but after getting my carb rebuilt/throttle cable to to actually go WOT, everything appears to work correctly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K10_Travis