700R4 on CraigsList

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ttjordan25

Reaction score
First Name
Trevis
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC
Engine Size
350 5.7L
Hi everyone I just joined this forum a couple days ago and love it! So figured I'd post my first question. I am in the market for a 700r4, and found one on CL from a 89 burban (trans is still hooked to the motor). The seller is asking 100 bucks for it...should I pull the trigger on this? Obviously I would need to rebuild it, I'm just not sure if this is a ok price for a trans that is used (I'm being told still works). I plan to go look at it this weekend. Are there any signs I should look for that will tell me to walk away from the deal?

I plan on putting this in my 86 GMC. One other question, cost wise is there going to be a big saving my rebuilding the trans myself rather than buy one from a local shop? I may already now the answer to this one, but I still wanted to ask.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Trans fluid color should be #1 indicator of the health of the clutch disks inside. If the fluid is more brown than read the disks are toast, and should give you some negotiating power closer to $50.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Look for any cracks or breaks in the bellhousing area. Look for any broken cast at all. Nornally not an issue, but you never know. $100 is not a bad price at all if he's certain it works and you're buying it for an immediate install. As for a core trans to rebuild, I personally will not pay over $50 and many times get them for $20-$30. Is this a 2wd or a 4wd drive trans? If it's a 4wd K case, marked with a big K on both sides of the bellhousing, and its an 87-92 case, I'd consider spending the $100 for a core, but I've not have had to pay that yet since many don't know 700r4's like I do and they think it's just a standard trans. Actually it is, but the K case is a beefier case around the bell housing area. The 87-92 even in a 2wd is the prefered choice. As C4 said, if the fluid is a pretty and bright red, then it's likely good like he says. If it's dirty red, probably still good for now, but not well maintained, so offer $75. If it's dark or burnt smelling, tell him it's just a core transmission and you won't pay over $50 for a core. Even if it is good, you might tell the guy you're just looking for a good rebuildable core and don't want to pay over $50. Don't bring up to him that the 87-92 cases are more sought after since they have most and more of the design updates.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody