700R4 nightmares

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ak4life

alaskan born, fed and bred.....lol.
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
81/84 gmc, 2001gmc, 2003 gmc, 2005 chevy
Truck Model
longbed squarebody, longbed 4dr extended cab, yukon sle, 4dr ext. cab
Engine Size
383, 6.0, 5.3, 5.3
in addition to the above advice , if the speedo is VSS the DRAC needs to be corrected for tire size to make the speedo correct or TCC lockup will be all messed up on the highway.
Hello gmbellew, im in need of more info on this topic....please elaborate. But first ill try to cover most about the truck and situation and hopefully you may be able to enlighten me.....so i have 81/84 4x4 3/4 running gear, it has aftermarket 383 with built 700r4, and a 208 tcase. I went with a new wire harness. My i/p is all aftermarket gauges all wired through harness and i decided to go with gps speedometer. So regarding vss and drac and tcc lockup relay is what im curious about.......the new harness doesnt have provisions for add ons like (tcc relay) or anything for that matter, but ill try to stay focused. So if i have no need for vss or drac, do i need to wire in tcc lockup relay ? Because im not sure how to even wire it in but i thought because it is original to the truck and trans type it would be necessary....also its 700r4 with a pigtail for manual lockup that i need to wire, but really dont want to have yo worry about keeping track of when or when not to flip switch.....any help is greatly appreciated.

ak4life

alaskan born, fed and bred.....lol.
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
81/84 gmc, 2001gmc, 2003 gmc, 2005 chevy
Truck Model
longbed squarebody, longbed 4dr extended cab, yukon sle, 4dr ext. cab
Engine Size
383, 6.0, 5.3, 5.3
I took out the 700r4 and NP241, I just picked up M1028 CUCV 5/4 ton axles, with disc all around hi steer kit and gonna install a 4L80, custom built. What transfer case would you guys install with this driveline upgrade?
Woody
Np241 !!!!! Lol. Yes np241

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
Hello gmbellew, im in need of more info on this topic....please elaborate. But first ill try to cover most about the truck and situation and hopefully you may be able to enlighten me.....so i have 81/84 4x4 3/4 running gear, it has aftermarket 383 with built 700r4, and a 208 tcase. I went with a new wire harness. My i/p is all aftermarket gauges all wired through harness and i decided to go with gps speedometer. So regarding vss and drac and tcc lockup relay is what im curious about.......the new harness doesnt have provisions for add ons like (tcc relay) or anything for that matter, but ill try to stay focused. So if i have no need for vss or drac, do i need to wire in tcc lockup relay ? Because im not sure how to even wire it in but i thought because it is original to the truck and trans type it would be necessary....also its 700r4 with a pigtail for manual lockup that i need to wire, but really dont want to have yo worry about keeping track of when or when not to flip switch.....any help is greatly appreciated.
The DRAC and VSS are only critical with 90-91 electronic speedometers when the ECM controlled TCC lockup

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg