700R4 Harsh Engagement VIDEO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joshua Keith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
First off thank you to all that havehelped me with my project truck this year. I’ve seen some people have the same issue as me but a solution or cause was never posted. Hopingmaybe here’s something out there.

Video source:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Truck: 1985 K10 700R4 Auto
10 Bolt rear end 3.42

Issue: Loud clunk and some tire chirp when engaging the transmission into reverse and drive.

Troubleshooting:
-Idle speed 650 RPMs
-New Trans mount
-New U Joints front and rear of drive shaft.
-New NP208 rear seal and bushing
-TV cable adjusted (same issue)
-TV cable unhooked (same issue)

Again thank you!

84 M1008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
M1008 K30
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
It more than likely needs a new ring and pinion.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
That is way too much backlash. Most likely your going to find some bearing wear, loose ring gear bolts, or spider gear issues. Did you replace a pinion seal recently? If the pinion bolt is too tight or too loose things can get torn up pretty quick.

Joshua Keith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That is way too much backlash. Most likely your going to find some bearing wear, loose ring gear bolts, or spider gear issues. Did you replace a pinion seal recently? If the pinion bolt is too tight or too loose things can get torn up pretty quick.

I have not. I’ve only had the truck for a month or 2. I can tell the rearend has been messed with(orange gasket material), but it was done by the PO. I’m going to tear it apart myself to see what the issue is. I know Diffs are suppose to be built very precisely, so I’ll have to do a lot of research to see what I’m dealing with. If I end up rebuilding it, I’ll post here with the results.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
If you decide to tear into it for gear replacement, do yourself a huge favor and either buy setup bearings, or be careful removing the old pinion bearings. Usually the original pinion shim will work or get you in the ballpark. If it requires a few tries with different shims, the set up bearings are a slip fit to allow easy removal. Once you have the correct pinion shim, press the new bearing in place. Spend the extra money for a pinion spacer and shims instead of using the crush sleeve. Problem #1 with the crush sleeve is it takes a BUNCH of torque to get it to start to crush, then once it starts to collapse it doesn’t take much to crush it too far, requiring tear down and a new sleeve.

Differential work isn’t terribly difficult, it’s just lots of trial and error to get the right shims for a good gear pattern. You will need a dial or beam style INCH POUND torque wrench, and a dial indicator, along with some way to remove and press bearings in place. I would suggest watching lots of YouTube videos

Joshua Keith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If you decide to tear into it for gear replacement, do yourself a huge favor and either buy setup bearings, or be careful removing the old pinion bearings. Usually the original pinion shim will work or get you in the ballpark. If it requires a few tries with different shims, the set up bearings are a slip fit to allow easy removal. Once you have the correct pinion shim, press the new bearing in place. Spend the extra money for a pinion spacer and shims instead of using the crush sleeve. Problem #1 with the crush sleeve is it takes a BUNCH of torque to get it to start to crush, then once it starts to collapse it doesn’t take much to crush it too far, requiring tear down and a new sleeve.

Differential work isn’t terribly difficult, it’s just lots of trial and error to get the right shims for a good gear pattern. You will need a dial or beam style INCH POUND torque wrench, and a dial indicator, along with some way to remove and press bearings in place. I would suggest watching lots of YouTube videos

Excellent advice, and I’ve been on YouTube and forums. It doesn’t look too difficult, but you have to be patient and persistent on getting the right backlash and bearing load. I saw there was a crush sleeve eliminator, so I will definitely be getting that. I saw some people grind the inside of their original bearings so that they could be a slip fit. Didn’t know they made a setup bearing just for that reason tho! Thanks

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20