6.2 diesel HELP !!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
I have a military M1028a2 with a 6.2 in it. 35k mile all the regular military stuff. Well I'm fighting it as not starting once engine is warm. Starts great cold and right off if you shut it off and restart it, but leave it set 15 min and forget it it won't start for anything. I upgraded to a spin on fuel filter, added a extra electric lift pump. Even changed injection pump out with one that worked fine off a extra engine. Any ideas where to look next???? Kinda would like to drive it alittle this summer

bigcountryguy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
When it's hot and won't start are you still gettin power to the injector pump solenoid?, when you changed ip did you happen to swap out the top solenoid? Sounds like once the coil is getting hot it will not open the fuel valve. Not shure if the military version uses a 24 volt coil or not.

bigcountryguy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
Was the injector pump from your donor also a military 6.2?

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
No it wasn't a military donor pump. It's only 12 volt to the pump on military trucks. Just the starter and glow plugs are 24. I didn't change out top plate to start with, and have changed it already since. The glow plug light doesn't come on once engine is warm, but would it need glow plugs once engine has been to operating temp?

bigcountryguy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
It possibly could need the glow plugs, mine will start up to 30 minutes after shutting down without glow plugs, on a good warm day. Force on the glow plugs with a jumper next time and see if that helps. I made my system manual with a momentary on toggle switch, works a lot better. Toggle goes right to glow plug solenoid

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
Ok so when hot if I cross terminals of glow plug solonoid the truck starts right of. If I try and jump or juice the small terminals I get nothing. I can cross small terminals when cold and glow plugs cycle correct. Does anyone know what triggers the glow plugs when warm to cycle? is it the timmer or a temp unit and where is it at? could glow plug modual even be bad?

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
Playing with it some more here, I found temp sender unit on rear of block. unplugged it and wait light comes on and it starts right up. Changed sensor with another one from a M1008 that looked new and plugged it back in and still won't work. unplugged and starts right off with wait light. It's been running and the cavity where sensor goes was wet, but never lost any coolant changing them at head higth. What all would it hurt to leave that sensor unplugged? could it be a air pocket in block not letting sensor work right????? I'm wanting to terrorize the streets a couple weeks with this truck since I have a guy wanting to buy it and It's alot harder to sell something you drive than something collecting dust in back of barn

bigcountryguy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
You could just make your own glow plug circuit with an old ford starter solenoid and a push button, that's what I did to mine and it works great. It bypasses all the original circuit which always had problems

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
mine cycles 3 times whenever you turn on the key now if you leave key on. works great just not sure if it hurts anything when glow plugs cycle on a warm running engine. Was told by local diesel gurue that reason it has to cycle when hot to start again is because of low compression. I find that hard to believe on a 35K mile truck, but then again it may have thousands of hours of idle time being from air force

Tyger13us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
450hp/357cid
mine cycles 3 times whenever you turn on the key now if you leave key on. works great just not sure if it hurts anything when glow plugs cycle on a warm running engine. Was told by local diesel gurue that reason it has to cycle when hot to start again is because of low compression. I find that hard to believe on a 35K mile truck, but then again it may have thousands of hours of idle time being from air force

sounds to me like its the glow plug controller and ive had nothing but problems with them..

mine did the same as you are sayin,, so went and bought a new one,, high dollar item too,, hooked it up,, thought everything was all good,, for about a month,, then the glow plug would light up while driving it!! burnt um all up...

then it wouldnt start cold for nothing less than a lil ether,,NOT GOOD..

so i got all new glow plugs and tryed to replace them,, but they had swollen up and couldnt get um out of the heads..

so,, i had to pull the injectors out and bust off the un-screew end of the glow plugs and fish out the rest of the glowplug end out though the injector hole,,X8!!
what a bitch that was,, so i just hooked up a button like was mentioned above and its worked great ever since and ive got 8 years out this set of GP'S.........

At first i was wondering if ya were talkin about the censer @ the back of the head on the pass side....... thats the pump advance censer for when its cold,, those give up the ghost also and stick on and the motor wont run right when it does, the motor will be to far advanced and run like ****, i also hooked that up to a toggle switch and hardly ever need to use it...

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
I unhooked the sensor on back of head on drivers side on mine which is the one I'm talking about 2 wires goin back to glow plug controler modual

Tyger13us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
450hp/357cid
my diesel can sit for a couple hours after its been warmed up to running temp and fires first click even when its damn cold out,, like 20 degrees.......

Tyger13us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
450hp/357cid
I unhooked the sensor on back of head on drivers side on mine which is the one I'm talking about 2 wires goin back to glow plug controler modual

yea,, just hook a button to the glow plug solinoid and start it like a ford,, i only hold mine for 10 seconds max and then turn the key,, and she fires right up...

but i left the controller disconnected till i got around to removing the wiring completely....

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
yea,, just hook a button to the glow plug solinoid and start it like a ford,, i only hold mine for 10 seconds max and then turn the key,, and she fires right up...

but i left the controller disconnected till i got around to removing the wiring completely....

Yea. Mine just has a button too. Which is good because I have the newer style glow plugs and they take longer to warm up.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1998_K1500_Sub