4WD Manual To 2WD Manual

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
Hello, I drive a 1973 K-10 Stepside. I bought this truck originally to haul stuff, but I like it so much that i now want to make it my daily driver. First thing I want to do is make the car more practical to drive. The car currently has a old 3 speed manual tranny that leaks, and doesn't shift well, also gets bad gas mileage on the freeway cruising 3,000 RPM at 70 MPH.

So, i have a lot of options in front of me But i can not decide what to do.
1. Get a TKO-600 man. 5Speed, Retrofit it, and take the 4WD out of my truck.
2. Get a Turbo-400 auto. Tranny, Retrofit it, and take the 4WD out of my truck
3. Rebuild my current tranny, and get a custom made overdrive.

I'm going to have to make major modifications to my truck any way i go. What would be cheaper? custom overdrive & rebuild? Or Brand New Tranny and Convert to 2wd?

I use my truck 90% on the street, and have no intentions to go rock crawling or any thing.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Sell it and buy a 2wd if that is what You want as a DD.
Get Yourself a five speed{overdrive} transmission from a newer four weeeeel drive and mate Your 4X4 components to it.
Get the TBI engine too, convert Your pickup to a TBI engine and the O.D. transmission and it should get You at least fifteen on the highway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade