4l80e with no controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
The reason Im putting this up,everywhere people are saying I can can contrl a 4l80 with a paperclip and a gum wrapper, heck I did it with nothing 10 foot of 2 strand speaker wire. But I wasn't addressing the line pressure problems,the link I put here does. I bought a parts truck in Columbia MO. 6.2 rebuilt 4l80e. It was in limp mode so I got on the internet got the colors for the shift solenoids rigged some speaker wire through the door opening grounding solenoids to shift using the cigarette lighter as ground. Later I saw guys controlling them as well as cheap controllers controlling them but not regulating line pressure. Mixed signals some say NBD but I'm inclined to believe it is a big deal. I found this transmission builder that has written up pump modifications needed when running a 4l80e without a controller for line pressure. IMHO whether your shifting it with a cheap controller,toggle switches,or full manual read this.
Easily Convert the 4L80E to Full Manual Control https://atracom.blob.core.windows.net/gears/2015/2015-03/2015_3_32.pdf

Last edited:

vr1967

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Virgil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
6.2L turbo
Can make a cheap controller from an 0411 PCM, just need crank signal, TPS and temp.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Can make a cheap controller from an 0411 PCM, just need crank signal, TPS and temp.
If it controls line pressure,I'd sure like to see a how to write up. Thanks. I put that up because there are so many people saying how to do cheap 4l80 control but this was the only one I saw addressing line pressure.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Jakes performance in Texas sell a plug in manual valve body conversion box, it does t even require dropping the oil pan to install it. It requires an ignition power source, and a ground wire to trigger the converter clutch.

If you are planning to go LS later with a computer to control the transmission, I’d suggest getting the jakes control box. That way you don’t have to do anything to the transmission that will require additional modifications later.

Keep in mind, any of these homemade valve bodies/control boxes will result in maxed out line pressure. That’s technically not ideal, but if the trans is in good condition it won’t hurt anything. It’s definitely going to shift firmer than it normally would.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size

Jakes performance in Texas sell a plug in manual valve body conversion box, it does t even require dropping the oil pan to install it. It requires an ignition power source, and a ground wire to trigger the converter clutch.

If you are planning to go LS later with a computer to control the transmission, I’d suggest getting the jakes control box. That way you don’t have to do anything to the transmission that will require additional modifications later.

Keep in mind, any of these homemade valve bodies/control boxes will result in maxed out line pressure. That’s technically not ideal, but if the trans is in good condition it won’t hurt anything. It’s definitely going to shift firmer than it normally would.
That was why I linked what I linked. That guy is addressing the line pressure problems and how to modify the transmission to deal with this..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad