4L80-E Saved from the Scrap Yard !!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You should be able to adapt it to fit, How is kind of hard to tell with out doing it. I can tell you this the bench seat's from the GMT400's will NOT directly bolt inplace of the Bench seats in the same trucks. I had to redrill the passengerside holes in my uncles truck.

WTF you got a 4L80E? What year did it come out of?

Sure did brah !!! Boss was scrapping a 98 Sngle rear wheel 1 ton pick up with a 6.5 Turbo Diesel that we impounded about 6 months ago. He did the title 42 paperwork on it, and used the front clip on our service truck, doors on another truck so he was scrapping the truck after someone wanted the SRW 14b full float. I asked about the trans. He said if you want a trans core, I have trans cores you can have instead of pulling this one. I said, NO, I want this one, do you know what it is? He said ****, I have no clue. I said its a fugging 4L80-E. He says, whatever the hell that is, if you want it, pull it, its yours. So I pulled it today. Its the good one with the cooling lines seperated from each other not together. :waytogo: Got the 6 lug torque converter for a core too. I know since its diesel I won't use it on a gas motor, as the stall will be to low.

Cool,. I have no problem drilling 2 holes. I think the GMT400 seat is more narrow too.

Last edited:

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Sure did brah !!! Boss was scrapping a 98 Sngle rear wheel 1 ton pick up with a 6.5 Turbo Diesel that we impounded about 6 months ago. He did the title 42 paperwork on it, and used the front clip on our service truck, doors on another truck so he was scrapping the truck after someone wanted the SRW 14b full float. I asked about the trans. He said if you want a trans core, I have trans cores you can have instead of pulling this one. I said, NO, I want this one, do you know what it is? He said ****, I have no clue. I said its a fugging 4L80-E. He says, whatever the hell that is, if you want it, pull it, its yours. So I pulled it today. Its the good one with the cooling lines seperated from each other not together. :waytogo: Got the 6 lug torque converter for a core too. I know since its diesel I won't use it on a gas motor, as the stall will be to low.

Cool,. I have no problem drilling 2 holes. I think the GMT400 seat is more narrow too.

DAMN you have a 4L80E and I need a 4L80E.
I have a SM465/ NP205 and YOU want a sm465/np205.
HMMMMMMM
seems
a
trade
to
me
?

FYI the seperated cooling lines were done to try to obtain cooler transmission temperatures, there theory was a good theory BUT Honestly it was just that theaory, Dont ever NOT grab a 4L80E just cause the lines are togather.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
DAMN you have a 4L80E and I need a 4L80E.
I have a SM465/ NP205 and YOU want a sm465/np205.
HMMMMMMM
seems
a
trade
to
me
?

FYI the seperated cooling lines were done to try to obtain cooler transmission temperatures, there theory was a good theory BUT Honestly it was just that theaory, Dont ever NOT grab a 4L80E just cause the lines are togather.

You're right about the cooling, but the one that has that update, has other updates too and that is how you identify the updated better trans. I am also getting a K case 4L60-E 4x4 trans out of a 97 or 98 Z71 Xcab 1/2 ton. We shall see about that trade. I'd like the 4L80-E too, but I know you'd have it up and running in something much much sooner than I will. I am nowhere near ready for it yet, but sure wasn't letting it go to the scrap yard. You're SM465/NP205 is al together with adapters and shift sticks right? Damn dawg, I wish you woulda got that damn clutch pedal assembly. No biggie, I have a feeling if I am patient, I can get whatever I want when it come thru the impound lot.

Last edited:

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
You're right about the coling, but the one tha has that update, has other updaes too and that is how you identify the updated better trans. I am also getting a K case 4L60-E 4x4 tans out of a 97 or 98 Z71 Xcab 1/2 ton. We shall see about that trade. I'd like the 4L80-E too, but I know you'd have it up and running something much much sooner that I will. I am nowhere near ready for it yet, but sure wasn't letting it go to the scrap yard. You're SM465/NP205 is al togehter with adapters and shift sticks right> Damn dawg, I wish you woulda got that damn clutch pedal assembly. No biggie, I have a feeling if I am patient, I can get whatever I want when it come thru the impound lot.

Yea the Transmission and transfercase are still bolted togather, Both shifters are there, the clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, are also there, Also have the removable dog house for it aswell. I can get a set of clutch pedals fairly easy, even the linkage can be gotten pretty easy.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Cool, I'd obvously need the clutch and pressure plate for cores, get a new TO bearing and starter. Is that bell housing for the hydro clutch or linkage clutch? I'd prefer linkage over hydraulic, but I'd the hydro too. Just that hydro clutches usually don't tolerate my speed shifting, and I move faster than the hydro operates and I end up spitting the piston out of the slave cylinder. But, SM465 isn't a speed shifting trans like a Muncie M22, so hydro will work just fine actually. Dig out all you can to go with that. Obviously you probably don't have the crossmember with that set up? Will you need this GMT400 4L80-E crossmember? This 4L80-E also has the bolt on yoke and torque converter but its a diesel converter and I do beleive they are different for gas. No hurry for me really, but maybe we need to plan a meet halfway since both of us are so damn busy and fuel costs are killer. IF we meet, I can also bring that AC/Heat Box too. That will save me time from having to pack it up for shipping.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
Cool, I'd obvously need the clutch and pressure plate for cores, get a new TO bearing and starter. Is that bell housing for the hydro clutch or linkage clutch? I'd prefer linkage over hydraulic, but I'd the hydro too. Just that hydro clutches usually don't tolerate my speed shifting, and I move faster than the hydro operates and I end up spitting the piston out of the slave cylinder. But, SM465 isn't a speed shifting trans like a Muncie M22, so hydro will work just fine actually. Dig out all you can to go with that. Obviously you probably don't have the crossmember with that set up? Will you need this GMT400 4L80-E crossmember? This 4L80-E also has the bolt on yoke and torque converter but its a diesel converter and I do beleive they are different for gas. No hurry for me really, but maybe we need to plan a meet halfway since both of us are so damn busy and fuel costs are killer. IF we meet, I can also bring that AC/Heat Box too. That will save me time from having to pack it up for shipping.

actually I do have the cross member for it aswell. The GMT400 crossmember is of no use to me they are the same from the 1/2 tons thru the 1 tons for the 60E and the 80E tranmissions.
The bell housing was for a linkage setup, I dont think they started using Hydro clutches until 85.

The converter will have a different stall speed for the diesel then what the gas motor would like. sounds like I need to come up with a 4X4 tail shaft for the 80E.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
There it is. Got the 4L80-E brought home today.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 4l80-e 011.jpg
    4l80-e 011.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 117

Joeairforce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
6.2L N/A Diesel
Did you get the 4l80E wiring harness to go with it?

There wouldn't have been a separate harness..... The harness would have been for the engine/trans together....

But it does look like he cut off the harness plug with plenty of tail to splice to....

Nice save BTW HRPC. :waytogo:

Last edited:

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
There wouldn't have been a separate harness..... The harness would have been for the engine/trans together....

But it does look like he cut off the harness plug with plenty of tail to splice to....

Nice save BTW HRPC. :waytogo:

From what I understand theres a seperate wiring harness for the trans on the 4l60E and 4l80e.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You misunderstood Dave. There is NO stand alone harness for 4L60 and 4L80-E's. Joe is correct. There is one exception. I believe its 91 and 92 diisel trucks have a stand alone ECM and harness for the 4L80-E. Past that, then you have to go with aftermarket like Compushift, and its about $1200 for the ECM and harness to run the 4L80-E in a non computer vehicle. Other options is to run a full manual valve body where you shift it yourself. Just like a manual trans but without a clutch.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
You misunderstood Dave. There is NO stand alone harness for 4L60 and 4L80-E's. Joe is correct. There is one exception. I believe its 91 and 92 diisel trucks have a stand alone ECM and harness for the 4L80-E. Past that, then you have to go with aftermarket like Compushift, and its about $1200 for the ECM and harness to run the 4L80-E in a non computer vehicle. Other options is to run a full manual valve body where you shift it yourself. Just like a manual trans but without a clutch.

That is a damn nice looking transmission I have huh.

There is another alternative though. Build your own controller system, simply put you can build your own stand alone harness using factory type ecm and Harness, all it takes is a little time and some good wiring skills, aswell as alot of research. That would have been the route i took had I not gone with a fuel injected motor (cummins diesel) which will more then likely take place down the road.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
LOL, I actually got it a little dirty pulling it.

I've often thought of buying a oompushift ecm and buying some circuit board and ....

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The next vehicle on the hook for the scrap yard is a 89 1500 standard cab with a TBI 350 and a 700r4. That wil be the better 700r4 too. I think the boss wants to pull the motor, if so, I bet I end up with the 700r4. :waytogo:

Joeairforce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
6.2L N/A Diesel

Close.... '91-93... Past that and the computer controls the engine as well...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1977chevyc30