4L80-E Saved from the Scrap Yard !!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Close.... '91-93... Past that and the computer controls the engine as well...

Cool, thanks for the update. That is one more year I can be looking into. If I had an ECM and wiring harness for this thing, I wouldn't even be considering trading it away for a SM45 and NP305 Tcase.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Cool, thanks for the update. That is one more year I can be looking into. If I had an ECM and wiring harness for this thing, I wouldn't even be considering trading it away for a SM465 and NP205 Tcase.

Fixed it for ya :patriot:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Joeairforce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
6.2L N/A Diesel
Cool, thanks for the update. That is one more year I can be looking into. If I had an ECM and wiring harness for this thing, I wouldn't even be considering trading it away for a SM45 and NP305 Tcase.

I got EXTREMELY lucky with the harness and computer that I'm using.... Guy sold it to me for $25 + shipping IIRC..... I've seen them go for $2-300....

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
I got EXTREMELY lucky with the harness and computer that I'm using.... Guy sold it to me for $25 + shipping IIRC..... I've seen them go for $2-300....

Ide be interested in knowing what all the sensors are that are needed with your harness that you are using.

Joeairforce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
6.2L N/A Diesel
Ide be interested in knowing what all the sensors are that are needed with your harness that you are using.

Engine speed sensor and Throttle position sensor are all it needs from the engine.

Beatdown Z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice save hotrod!

The earlier 4L80E's actually have a better lube design and don't eat up bushings like the later "central lube" units. Of course they don't have the updates the later ones have, so that is something to be taken care of when you rebuild them.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
Engine speed sensor and Throttle position sensor are all it needs from the engine.

wow thats alot different then the OBD II controllers. No wonder they are so sought after.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
RPM and TPS is not much. You'd think it would need to read some kind of vacuum too so it know when the motor is under strain. This trans I got is an OBD 2 since its out of 97 or 98. Boss was farily certian it was a 98. He scrapped the rest of the truck today.
Now were working on getting a TBI 350 and 700r4 out of an 88 or 89. One of the more sought after 700r4s. I am also going to be looking over the wiring harness, and if in good shape, gonna pull the TBI harness and ECM. I'd really prefer a Vortec 350, but for FREE, I'll live with TBI since TBI is a very dependable system. I just prefer injection instead of a carb for a 4x4.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
RPM and TPS is not much. You'd think it would need to read some kind of vacuum too so it know when the motor is under strain. This trans I got is an OBD 2 since its out of 97 or 98. Boss was farily certian it was a 98. He scrapped the rest of the truck today.
Now were working on getting a TBI 350 and 700r4 out of an 88 or 89. One of the more sought after 700r4s. I am also going to be looking over the wiring harness, and if in good shape, gonna pull the TBI harness and ECM. I'd really prefer a Vortec 350, but for FREE, I'll live with TBI since TBI is a very dependable system. I just prefer injection instead of a carb for a 4x4.

no matter the condition i would grab it. You can always use it for a pattern and build your own customized harness with new wire and pins. Doing it this way you can choose exactly where you want your ECM to mount.

Second thought. Have any ole F-bodys around with the tune port? That would be an awesome swap to do.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
NO F bodies. Just these few GMT400 trucks and a bunch of wrecked ricers.

Yeah, Im hoping the TBI harness will put the ECM in the same place as a TBI square in an 87 PU or thru 91 Blazer or Burb.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It should. Since the ECM is under the dash as I recall on both.

Yep, I'm sure it will. I've just not dealt with a TBI square. So does the TBI ECM go in the same place as the ESC ECM goes? I was thinking the TBI ECM goes in the passenger side kick panel where the ESC ECM is under the steering column above the gas pedeal.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
That's a good question. The SB ECMs are mounted behind the glovebox. I think 89S may have some pics in his A/C removal thread.

Should be able to get away with getting SB brackets or making some. I'm half tempted - since my truck did not come with an ECM, to use a 1988-93 GM W body ECM mounted under the hood. They are the same as a Corvette unit and do interchange, just will need a chip for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dan87r10