454 won't idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slooptin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Vance
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
So I just recently did some work to my 454 (head gaskets, headers, oil pan gasket, rear main seal) and am trying to get it running again. I can get it to start and idle for a second and then it dies. When I start it, it runs up to about 2500 rpm as the choke opens and the revs drop slowly over about 5 seconds then it hits 1500 rpm and completely dies. I have the engine static timed to 0 deg on the timing plate, the fast idle is set kind of high, the mixture screws are about 3 full turns out from the bottom and the carb was rebuilt withing the last 3 months (was running fine before I pulled the heads to do head gaskets) at which point, I added an electric choke. I also have good fuel flow from the stock mechanical fuel pump and the filter in the carb and the auxiliary in-line fuel filter are both about a year old. I'm guessing it's a fuel issue, but I don't have anything to back that up. My procedure for reinstalling the rocker arms was by the book as well (tighten nut down until pushrod wont turn, then another 3/4 turn). I'm also running the stock intake manifold with the EGR blocked off. Any help is appreciated.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Kaka occurs!
I believe we've all done similar stuff!
You must be registered for see images attach