1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

454 with 10 bolt rear end?

Discussion in 'Differential & Driveline' started by Dleighton, Mar 8, 2019.

1. hirschdalechevy

hirschdalechevy Full Access Member

First Name:
    rich
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    k-30
    Engine Size:
    Back in the day , I sunk a bunch of money into my 12 bolt , super brute limited , Richmond gear's , alloy axle's , etc. With a 425 horse small block , auto tran's and 35x14.50 ground hawg's I used to spray that 12 bolts gut's out on a regular basis , (three times to be exact), I was hard on it though. Strong torque and big rubber don't mix very well for a 12 bolt. You might be ok with a stock big block and 35's as long as you don't beat on it but I wouldn't put any money into a 12 bolt with a big block and 35's myself , ( I learned the hard way , three times). 14 bolt is the way to go and they are cheap and easy to swap. As for the front the dana 60 is the way to go but they are not cheap and not as easy to find. I have had good luck with the 8 lug 44's and big rubber as long as you leave them open carrier. I was going though axle joints on this same truck for a while so I up graded to chromoly shafts and cmt joints, made my own axle truss, and then it was all good. By this time a dana 60 would have been nice but I didn't have one so I went the 44 route. The 44 will work well as long as you don't hammer it to hard off road. The only thing I ever broke on a 44 was axle joints which in turn took out the axle's as well, (and one time a housing , jumping), not the 44's fault just my stupidity.

2. hirschdalechevy

hirschdalechevy Full Access Member

First Name:
    rich
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    k-30
    Engine Size:
    Back in the day , I sunk a bunch of money into my 12 bolt , super brute limited , Richmond gear's , alloy axle's , etc. With a 425 horse small block , auto tran's and 35x14.50 ground hawg's I used to spray that 12 bolts gut's out on a regular basis , (three times to be exact), I was hard on it though. Strong torque and big rubber don't mix very well for a 12 bolt. You might be ok with a stock big block and 35's as long as you don't beat on it but I wouldn't put any money into a 12 bolt with a big block and 35's myself , ( I learned the hard way , three times). 14 bolt is the way to go and they are cheap and easy to swap. As for the front the dana 60 is the way to go but they are not cheap and not as easy to find. I have had good luck with the 8 lug 44's and big rubber as long as you leave them open carrier. I was going though axle joints on this same truck for a while so I up graded to chromoly shafts and cmt joints, made my own axle truss, and then it was all good. By this time a dana 60 would have been nice but I didn't have one so I went the 44 route. The 44 will work well as long as you don't hammer it to hard off road. The only thing I ever broke on a 44 was axle joints which in turn took out the axle's as well, (and one time a housing , jumping), not the 44's fault just my stupidity.

shiftpro likes this.
  3. eskimomann209

eskimomann209 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Marcus
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C10
    Engine Size:
    I don’t see a 10 bolt holding up my dear sir
    I tried it with a 305 and 35 inch tires I got a few years out of it
    It’s your fireside AND engine that’ll be the death of it. Even babying it.
    The 12 bolt SF will hold up better especially because the sm465 isn’t a power monger but it can torque the 12bSF to death.
    I do like the 14BFF but it’s 8 lug and you’d need fronts to match o course.
    I have a 12b with post in mine and next in is a ls 383
    So I’ll have more answers in the 383 question here in the future:banana-mario:

4. 1973c10

1973c10 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Don
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C10
    Engine Size:

Nothing last forever LOL

5. Keith Seymore

Keith Seymore Full Access Member

First Name:
    Keith Seymore
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    R10
    Engine Size:
    4.3L
  6. 78C10BigTen

78C10BigTen Full Access Member

First Name:
    ted
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C10 BIG TEN
    Engine Size:
    Rusty Nail likes this.
  7. rpcraft

rpcraft Full Access Member

First Name:
    Robert
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Jimmy
    Engine Size:
    I did not realize we were talking about a big block and big tires. that 10 bolt will be living on borrowed time if that is the case, lol. Drive sparingly to make it last. I'd look at a Semi float 14 bolt or a full floater, and as long as you do not flog it your front 10 bolt can be ok. I'd just be sure not to try and get the front wheels wedged or locked up though. If you gear it well it can be upgraded with the 31 spline hardware but then your front diff can be the weak link. Just food for thought.

8. shiftpro

shiftpro Full Access Member

First Name:
    shiftpro
    Truck Year:
    73-87
    Truck Model:
    1500, 2500, 3500
    Engine Size:
    350, 383, 454, 496!
    That 10 bolt he built needs a 2x stepside with a 327..

9. Derick C.

Derick C. Full Access Member

First Name:
    Derick
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    454/700r4
    I have a 10 bolt in my suburban that has been worked very hard and hasn't broke yet but I know it will eventually, that's why I have been building a 14 bolt FF that will be going in within the next few months.

10. Derick C.

Derick C. Full Access Member

First Name:
    Derick
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    454/700r4
    20190330_152348.jpg

11. 82c10stepside

82c10stepside Junior Member

First Name:
    Tim
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C10
    Engine Size:
    The leverage of a 35 inch tire will be the death of it if you drive it like you stole it. Drive it like it's your own money and it will probably live a long time.

12. rpcraft

rpcraft Full Access Member

First Name:
    Robert
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Jimmy
    Engine Size:
    If he has the right gearing it will be ok for daily driving, towing, and mild wheeling. If he puts the truck in a situation where the tires are wedged in and using some serious torque or like the gas pedal is a light switch then yes, there is going to be some carnage, lol.