454 TBI lack of power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
I'm reasonably sure it its that rear cat causing most of the issues. I've been having a **** drive today where it seems to block up (can hear a lot of exhust trying to escape from a pin hole leak) and then I loose a heap of power and then she overheats. Dosent help when the weather has been hot either. I'm going to cut the cat off when I get home and see how it goes.
On a side note, I cannot figure out how the "egr" does anything as its not hooked up to the exhaust in anyway that I can see

The egr is connected via the intake manifold. In the cylinder heads there are cross over ports that run through the intake, so on a carbureted non egr engine the butterfly valve on the passenger manifold would be closed when cold and idling sending exhaust gasses under the carb to warm it up. So when egr's started to be put on engines they used that cross over in the manifold, so the egr gets exhaust gasses from the intake itself. Lots of times they get plugged up with carbon and other deposits and will stick open or closed and fail to function correctly.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Oh overheats too? You didn't mention that previously... sounds like you nay be barking up the right tree, now.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I'm reasonably sure it its that rear cat causing most of the issues. I've been having a **** drive today where it seems to block up (can hear a lot of exhust trying to escape from a pin hole leak) and then I loose a heap of power and then she overheats. Dosent help when the weather has been hot either. I'm going to cut the cat off when I get home and see how it goes.
On a side note, I cannot figure out how the "egr" does anything as its not hooked up to the exhaust in anyway that I can see

plugged exhaust can cause a gasket leak, an exhaust leak with the egr disconnected can cause the ecm to try to reduce the amount of fuel when it is expecting to see the exhaust gasses. When its not getting the exhaust from egr and a leak allowing fresh air in makes the ecm dump more fuel creating a rich condition that is bad for your already plugged cats.

shanegtr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Oh overheats too? You didn't mention that previously... sounds like you nay be barking up the right tree, now.
It's not always overheating - it was ok for temps during my run last night when the ambient temps where down. It's mainly during the middle of the day when it's hottest (it is summer here after all)

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Yep, symptoms of a plugged exhaust.

As for the egr, I don't remember the specific codes, but if that one is for "lack of flow", it won't cause any issues with the driveability of a healthy engine.

shanegtr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Well got a little a pissed off with the power levels dropping (I've been on a 1500km drive) and stopped at a hardware store in a country town (not many towns to drive through on this trip either) and picked up a new hacksaw:
You must be registered for see images attach

Wow, what a difference, the burb is working again, no issues holding speed uphills now :). Besides some of the cat internals falling apart the front face is covered in what looks like rust particles. So I've defiantly found the issue. I'll be putting in a straight bit of pipe and turfing the cat completely

carfanatic63

Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
none yet
Truck Model
Engine Size
No cats is the way to go on these old trucks if you can where you live anyways. Nothing like the smell of fresh hydrocarbons in the morning.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes