454 TBI lack of power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shanegtr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Ok, just putting it out there to see if anyone has any ideas here. As the title suggests, 454 TBI. Starts and idles fine and accelerates smoothly under light throttle, but get 1/2 throttle or more and it seems to bog down and not deliver as much power as it should(had more power available previously).
Things replaced so far (not because of this issue - just what Ive done as its a new vehicle to me), spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, engine oil & filter(theres a nice oil leak around the filter but thats another story), coolant and thermostat, trans fluid changed and new pan filter and new fuel pump (old one died - which I thought may have been the issue). Timing was checked and at idle it was spot on 4deg as per the manual.
Any suggestions on what else to check?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Even with the new pump, I'd double check the fuel pressure. If it's a few psi low, a TBI engine will still run well, just lack power.

Does it still have the original pellet type catalytic converter?

shanegtr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Not sure what the original pellet type cat looks like, but there is a cat way back down near the rear diff. I can post up a pic and you can let me know if its an original one

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
I second @bucket on checking the fuel pressure and catalytic converter. I am not sure on TBI 454's but on 70's small blocks they have a butterfly valve on the passenger side exhaust manifold that when cold closes to redirect exhaust through the crossover in the intake manifold to warm it up and if it sticks close then it will heavily restrict exhaust flow making it idle ok but gutless anywhere else couldn't hurt to check when looking at the cat. If it has one,checking the EGR valve for proper function too can't hurt.

shanegtr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Heres the only cat in my exhaust. Funny as one of my original thoughts was that there may have been a restriction in the exhaust. There is a small pin jole leak around on of the welds up near the front - i previously noticed it seemed to be leaking with more pressure (didnt notice it last night however)
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-J320ZN using Tapatalk

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Well that's an odd cat to see under there. Looks like it might be an original cat from a late model truck?

If there's anywhere to easily disconnect the exhaust ahead of the cat, you can test drive it unhooked to see if there's more power.

shanegtr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Unfortanatly its all welded so no easy way to disconnect

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
If your truck was like my '87 C30 and my '88 C20 Suburban, that is the second of 2 cats the 454 trucks had. There was a big pancake (pellet) style one near the transmission (photo) then your style cat near the rear axle. The cat you pictured is the honeycomb brick style.

On my '87, the front cat failed and was throwing pellets into the 2nd cat, causing it to clog.

shanegtr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
That one then is definatly not there. The front section of pipework has been replaced at some point and still looks newish

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If your truck was like my '87 C30 and my '88 C20 Suburban, that is the second of 2 cats the 454 trucks had. There was a big pancake (pellet) style one near the transmission (photo) then your style cat near the rear axle. The cat you pictured is the honeycomb brick style.

On my '87, the front cat failed and was throwing pellets into the 2nd cat, causing it to clog.

Wow, I never realized that. My big block Burbs have been pre-87's with duals and no cats.

But that makes complete sense, if the pellet converter had failed recently, there could be a mess inside the rear cat.

WHEELMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BILL
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
454 v8
Did you ever pull the TBI off and clean it up and put a kit in it.when I pulled mind.the base gasket was messed up.broke up some.you can get the rebuild kit.from different places.rockauto.maybe eBay.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
1. Any check engine lights? if so get code
2. Just becasue its a new fuel pump doesnt mean its still good, the factory pumps were low pressure and not known for putting out the same psi. Swapping to a TPI camaro or 96+ Vortec truck pump is a direct swap in and much more reliable.
3. Factory exhaust is a restriction and cats from those days were horrible at best, if you need a cat for emissions replace it with a new high flow unit.
4. How many miles are on the engine it maybe tired and have a couple of issues causing this.

shanegtr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
I second @bucket on checking the fuel pressure and catalytic converter. I am not sure on TBI 454's but on 70's small blocks they have a butterfly valve on the passenger side exhaust manifold that when cold closes to redirect exhaust through the crossover in the intake manifold to warm it up and if it sticks close then it will heavily restrict exhaust flow making it idle ok but gutless anywhere else couldn't hurt to check when looking at the cat. If it has one,checking the EGR valve for proper function too can't hurt.
Interestingly that you mention the EGR valve. Today it's been throwing up DTC 32.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
My first thought was "fuel pressure" but my second thought involved the check engine lightbulb...

shanegtr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
I'm reasonably sure it its that rear cat causing most of the issues. I've been having a **** drive today where it seems to block up (can hear a lot of exhust trying to escape from a pin hole leak) and then I loose a heap of power and then she overheats. Dosent help when the weather has been hot either. I'm going to cut the cat off when I get home and see how it goes.
On a side note, I cannot figure out how the "egr" does anything as its not hooked up to the exhaust in anyway that I can see

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeBeepBeep