454 starting issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
Tell us what you found so others can learn. I have the same issue, it was the module, (second time), so I am replacing the dist with an MSD unit that I have. Had to buy a 6AL as I gave mine to my big bro for his 65 Plymouth Satellite. I have NEVER had an MSD fail, and starting has been better on almost every rig, and it is highly adj., spark curve, so you can set it up for what you are using your truck for.

Slooptin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Vance
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
I definitely needed a new coil. The Tach/yellow wire on the old one had rubbed up against the metal coil housing (not sure what the correct term is) and I ended up replacing the module as well. The biggest issue was the fact that I put my carb gasket on backwards and it was preventing the butterflys from opening all the way. Took me long enough to figure that one out. Moral of the story I guess is Occam's Razor. Never think that just because you've done something 100 times that you're muscle memory is still there or that you did it right

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8