454 oil consumption - BAD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

80goldenburb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nico
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C20
Engine Size
'68 cad 472
:mexsmoke: seems after searching around the net, that my Burbs powerplant problem is a rare one. or possibly just created from non experience.

Well here goes. My '80 suburban has an L19 (tbi 454) as I scrubbed the block with a toothbrush behind the alternator and got the production code that translated into sept 9th, 1991. I assumed this was factory block minus the obvious edlebrock carb/intake. Got curious one day and pulled the valve covers to find the casting 14097088, which comes out to be GM Performance's 454/502 HO heads. :cheers: frankenblock lol! Now onto the problem. The motor burns a quart of oil every 80-100 miles. :gr_guns: i know for a fact on multiple 500+ mile roundtrips, it'll be full at the beginning and then BELOW the "Add Quart" on the dipstick. Could it be the piston rings?:emotions122: I suspect this since my spark plugs are oil fouled when I checked earlier yesterday.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Does it smoke on start up? Could be valve stem seals and/or blocked pcv valve. Leak down test will give a good idea of where oil is coming from.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Do a compression test too

80goldenburb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nico
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C20
Engine Size
'68 cad 472
Does it smoke on start up? Could be valve stem seals and/or blocked pcv valve. Leak down test will give a good idea of where oil is coming from.

it used too. it was a light grayish smoke. but sometimes light thin black smoke. that ended since I put half quart of trans fluid at the crankcase. now it just smells of burn trans fluid out the exhaust but no smoke.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Should be blueish tint smoke on start up if valve stem seals are bad. Best would be to do a compression test followed by a leak down test. Also putting a vacuum gauge on the engine can give some info on the shape of the valves and rings.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btrain04