454 kickback/dieseling after shutdown?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Being as it idles ok, sounds to me like it is running out of fuel. Check the fuel filter, pump pressure and volume. May be the carb is bad, but before spending money on a replacement make sure that is the problem.

Slooptin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Vance
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
I think timing was off. Ended up replacing the balancer and got an afr gauge installed to verify how lean/rich I'm running. it seems to mostly have gone away. I still need to mess with the timing a bit but i think those two things solved my problem

Ichy62

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I would try to check the timing by advancing it to the point where it pings when you go drive it or fights the starter during cranking, then read it with a timing light and see what the pointer shows. It sounds like you may have a timing pointer or balancer inaccuracy and your timing is actually drastically retarded; that's usually what causes the engine run on due to the open throttle blades required with the retarded condition. Often when the ignition timing is more than 10 degrees retarded you will also notice the radiator throwing off an unusual amount of heat, if it is not actually overheating.
The anti-dieseling solenoid was used by the oems starting in the 70s as a result of retarded timing used to reduce emissions. Initial timing at zero or even a few degrees atdc required more throttle opening at idle, which in turn caused run on at hot shut-off.. hope this helps

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64