454 Big Block MPG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

staticattic

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
According to my fuel app, I am only getting 5.3mpg in my truck. Yes, I am fully aware of the “if you are worried about MPGs, you shouldn’t have got a 454” argument. I am also fully aware that poor gas mileage is a symptom that something is wrong. I have replaced the spark plugs, ran 2 tanks of gas with fuel system cleaner dumped in, and now i am looking at maybe removing the current carb and replacing it with a new one, although I suppose I could remove the current carb, clean it really good, rebuild it, etc. I am also looking at replacing portions of the ignition system as well. My question is, what MPGs should I be shooting for? I am thinking I should be able to at least squeeze 10 to 12 MPGs. Is that about normal?

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
8-10? Maybe 12 at the most.

Kinda all determined by your setup, how you drive.
Im sure someone here will tell you they got 20mpg with x tires, x gear ratio, x carb, x tranny.

What kinda compression is the motor making on all the cylinders?
What condition is the spark plugs in?
They are the most important as you may/may not know. They tell you what sort of condition each cylinder is in

What kinda heads?
Smog? Aftermarket?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
My 97 one ton big block crew cab was good for 17mpg on highway. But that is with nv4500 and mpfi

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
5.3 something is wrong. I'd say 10 is going to be the max on 454 but it will depend on rear end gearing, transmission and your right foot. If you were in a 454 motorhome I'd say 5.3 would normal, but your not. Carburetor and ignition timing would be what I'd be looking at. What carb do yo u currently have?

nabeshin

functioning lunatic
Reaction score
First Name
Grae
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Are your vacuum lines all old and cracked? If the carb and timing was tuned with lots of vacuum leaks, you'd be sucking in more gas that you should.

I was getting less than 6mpg when I started my journey. It just got 10.5mpg on the last tank, and should top close to 12mpg once I rebuild the carb, idle screws are 4 1/2 turns out; so lots of leaks in the carb gaskets.

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
Age old question there. Why can't I get a gazillion MPG with a big ass gas guzzling engine? Not trying to be an ass (tho I'm quite good at it) but I think the answer lies within the question!!
:cheers:

staticattic

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Age old question there. Why can't I get a gazillion MPG with a big ass gas guzzling engine? Not trying to be an ass (tho I'm quite good at it) but I think the answer lies within the question!!
:cheers:
i totally agree. i don’t think i am being unrealistic. it is a big block 454 after all and not a prius. if 5.3mpg is what i can expect, then i’ll quit worrying about it. i’m am totally a noob when it comes to square bodies and big, carbureted engines. however, i am not a noob when it comes to engines and engine repair. my VW bugs were carbureted and comparing the two is apples to oranges, but the basic concept is still the same. poor mileage means something is wrong. i was curious what i should reasonably expect that’s all.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
My crew cab is a tbi 454 turbo 400 with 4.10s gets 8.5mpg. But I drive it like a mad man. Lol.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I had a K10 with a mild carb’d 454, 4spd, 4.10’s and 38’s that got around 10-11 mpg’s on the interstate running about 65 mph. In town it was less but not horrible.

BryanC

Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
I hate to ask the obvious, but is your speedometer accurate? When I bought my Suburban, there was a 40% difference between the rear end gear ratio and the speedometer drive gears in the TH400.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
There's definitely a lot that could be going on here. I don't think 5mpg is right unless you are cranking serious horsepower. First, make sure you have an accurate speedometer. Just download one of the free GPS speedometer apps and go on a drive down the highway. You should be able to see how far off your factory speedo is and maybe correct it. If you are actually getting 5mpg, you need to make sure the engine is healthy and free of vacuum leaks. Then adjust the carb correctly once you have made sure the engine and vacuum system is healthy.

Reaction score
First Name
dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
befor complaining, learn to drive all over again. big motor makes tq, with lots of tq, no need to spin the motor. short shift, get her into high gear as soon as possible without lugging. cruise at 50 to 55 mpg. documemt mpg over a period of several tank fulls. report back.

staticattic

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
i use my GPS everyday because it will route me around traffic issues. my speedo and odometer are pretty damn close even though the truck is sitting on 35s.

i do not have 100% faith in my gas gauge. it gets down to ⅛ of a tank and starts bouncing. but what i do know, it is 33 miles from my driveway to work. that’s 66 miles a day and i burn through 12 gallons of gas every day. i work from 0600 - 1500, so i miss most of the traffic both ways. even though the speed limit on the interstate is 70, i cruise between 55 and 60. i don’t do hard launches, i steadily reach my cruising speed and stay there. interestingly, i ran into a dude today in a lowe’s parking lot with a ford bronco on 35s that was sporting a ford 460. i asked him about gas and he said he gets about 10mpg, but he also tows his work trailer.

i already knew i was going to get crappy gas mileage, but 5.3 mpg is pretty low. i am going to take the suggestions provided and run with them and see how it goes. thank you for the ideas and feedback.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
the truck is sitting on 35s.

There's the issue. You would need 4.10 gears. Even though the big block has the torque to drive these meats with 3.73 gears, it's lugging too low in the rpm range and bingo there's a gas station better stop.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I was first thinking this thread is like Fire and Ice. Big Block and MPG just don't go in the same quote. But you do have something wrong if 5.3 is all you get unless it's in something like a C60 then I'd say it's accurate and as to be expected. Granted it was with 3.21 rear gears, but I know my speedo and odo were 100% accurate. I don't even think it was off by 1%. My 454/Th400 in a stock height C20 with stock size tires COULD GET 13.2 hwy with cruise set at 65mph on a non windy day and pretty much flat driving. 10.5 was much more common when I wasn't going for the best mpg possible and 8 around town was pretty common without the jack rabbit take offs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes