454 BBC Fuel Problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOBNKIM

Reaction score
First Name
Kim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
502 bbc
Been having some issues with the truck. It was having some issues with stalling when slowing down or stopping, tried everything, fuel pump, filter, full tune up & even distributor itself b/c 2 shops couldn't find the problem. That didn't fix it so I removed the super old fi system and put on demon carb & fuel regulator. Truck fired right up and ran great. Drove to the gas station about a mile away and on the way back (possibly cuz engine was hot?) engine died in the middle of acceleration and would not restart. Cranks fine but not getting any fuel. FYI, truck was sitting for a while before I purchased. I'm probably going to start by replacing the fuel regulator, it doesn't seem to be working right, I was only getting 4 1/2lbs of pressure!? Any other ideas? Like I said, fuel pumps only cpl months old.

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
Is your exhaust close to the filter, or lines? Mine is really close. Had to wrap my lines to keep from vapor lock. Like my stuff tucked up.

May be an issue with fuel pickup in tank. Try running it off a jug to rule that out.

Yes, 4.5psi is low. 6-7psi is what you want.

You say old F.I., was this a TBI motor?

Last edited:

Dave 84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
What is the fuel pressure after it dies?
I had chased vapor lock for months before I was able to dial it in.
Is this electric pump in the tank? And most regulators are adjustable to a extent.
The jug idea would help you out alot in getting to the bottom of this!

BOBNKIM

Reaction score
First Name
Kim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
502 bbc
Thanks for the input! Great leads! It is a TBI motor. I don't think the location of the exhaust is an issue b/c it was running like a raped ape at full acceleration before and didn't have any issues. I haven't checked the fuel pressure after it dies b/c of my crazy work schedule. I'm on constant 12s and covering vacations so haven't had any time. I had to leave for work the day this happened and just towed it back and left it. Appreciate it guys!

BOBNKIM

Reaction score
First Name
Kim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
502 bbc
Hi, If anyone is still here, here's where I'm at, I put some gas in the 2nd gas tank, it's a dual tank (I was told the one I just put gas in did not work) and it starts but running like a dog. Can't keep it running. It has a fuel pump right above the gas tank, that's the one I've already changed. I see a little moisture on one of the fuel lines but nothing to write home about. So I'm back to my original problem, struggling to get gas. New carb, fuel pump, regulator, etc Any feed back?

Dave 84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Okay alot of times the rubber lines get too old and soft that they collapse and end up not letting fuel pass go underneath the truck and just by hand feel the fuel hose to see if it squishy if any are then stop and replace all rubber line! This happens alot!

BOBNKIM

Reaction score
First Name
Kim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
502 bbc
Thanks! I'll definately try when I'm off again!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The pump is above the tank? If it's an aftermarket inline type pump, it should be mounted below the fuel level.

BOBNKIM

Reaction score
First Name
Kim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
502 bbc
No it's inline, sorry, I mistyped. I meant in front of, lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics