4" vs 6" lift on a k5 with a diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Corpse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ramon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
6.2 Diesel
At the end of the day, will i run into driveline angle problems with a 6" lift over a 4"?

End result i want are 37s on a all suspension lift. But the guys off of pirate tell me lower is better to keep the driverside happy and just sawzall the wells out to fit the tire size.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

heavyleft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10/K5
Engine Size
350ci
You can get away with a stock drive shaft initially on a 6"......just won't be able to flex out too much. I had a stock DS for a while. Drive shaft angle needs to be addressed regardless as soon as its lifted whether standard DS or Double Cardon. I hear some kits come with a shim to offset DS angle. With a 6", you will come into issues with your brake lines, shocks and steering drop pitman arm right off the bat.

Yes, lower center of gravity is better but the question is, do you really want to hack your fenders that much?

Last edited:

Corpse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ramon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
6.2 Diesel
And the answer is no... So Im looking for a 6" but its all the little details i want to plan out before.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Look for a 2005 Dodge 2500 front driveshaft, it has 1350 u-joints throughout, including the double cardan, and has a higher running angle than the stock 3R joints in the stock driveshaft. The guy at the local driveline shop clued me in on that, and I intend to do it before long. It will need to be cut down but will bot directly to the front driveshaft flange on the t-case. You'll also need a 1350 pinion yoke for your front diff, or a conversion joint.

You'll also want to do the frame brace on the steering box section of the frame, bigger tires = increased force on the frame in that area. Best to address it before you have problems.

heavyleft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10/K5
Engine Size
350ci
You'll also want to do the frame brace on the steering box section of the frame, bigger tires = increased force on the frame in that area. Best to address it before you have problems.

No joke, he just repaired his and I'm fixing mine this weekend!

83K5guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
We have plenty of 03-06 dodge front shafts butt they all need to be rebuilt with new ujoints so that's why we just sell em a new shaft

ben h

Reaction score
First Name
ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
go with the 6in i just had a k5 blazer with a 6in suspention lift with 35 boggers and it rubed bad when not even doing anything
and alls pirate likes is low cuz they do nothing but rock crawling but id take and get 6in lift springs for the front and get ruff stuff shackle flip in the back with add a leaf
i was about to throw a 8in lift in the blazer

You must be registered for see images attach

Corpse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ramon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
6.2 Diesel
And what about tossing on a d60 front and corp 14 rear... Will i have to redo anything at that point? Or just get bigger u-bolts...

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
You'll need to have the rear driveshaft redone, it will be a few inches short since the 14-bolt's pinion is shorter than what you're running now (10-bolt?). Your brake lines for the front calipers have a different style too for 1-ton brakes. I'm not sure about the park brake cables, I converted the rear brakes to disk brakes.

Corpse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ramon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
6.2 Diesel
Yea. I've got a 10bolt... And what about brakes once all this is done, should i upgrade to bigger/better? Cuz Im unsure about wheel size, i know ill have to get 8bolt vs 6 that i have now but Im hopeing to reuse the tires.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
They make 8-lug 15 inch conversion wheels but they are a real pain in the ass to make work with the D60 front. You have to grind a good 1/4" of metal off your calipers and caliper mount brackets to make them fit. There's plenty of metal on them to work with so you dont have to worry about weakening them but it's a hell of a lot of grinding. If I were you I would get 16" wheels, sell your tires and get new/lightly used ones.

As far as brakes they should be fine. I went to rear disk to lighten the rear and just move away from drums. rear disk brakes here without some kind of parking brake is illegal, but I get around that by having antique tags.

Corpse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ramon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
6.2 Diesel
I wanted to get 17" wheels anyway...
Guess ill just lift it and throw on a used wheel tire combo till i do the axle swap

I was gonna order a kit from offroad design, they seem to know their ****.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajiuo666