4" lift modifications

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryan-73

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Just finished installing a 4" Pro Comp lift on my 87. It came with the replaced steering arm, so i did that. They told me that was all that was required. However after lifting it, the front drive shaft coming out of the transfer case seems questionable to me (see below). Do I need to do anything about this or is it fine?
You must be registered for see images attach

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Just finished installing a 4" Pro Comp lift on my 87. It came with the replaced steering arm, so i did that. They told me that was all that was required. However after lifting it, the front drive shaft coming out of the transfer case seems questionable to me (see below). Do I need to do anything about this or is it fine?

Post a pic of your pieces

Ryan-73

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
What pieces are you referring to? It's all assembled. I'm just concerned about the front drive shaft.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
What pieces are you referring to? It's all assembled. I'm just concerned about the front drive shaft.

Oh lol I thought it was a double post cause you used the same title. Anyways there is a longer slip shaft that you can get. The short piece that attaches to the differential. I got one from a driveline shop. It might be a dodge piece, not sure though. But it gives you about an extra inch over the stock length.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Do you have the 1" spacers between the cross member and the frame?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Last edited:

Joe383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
If it was me I would have the drive line modified to take up the difference. I would go to a shop and ask how much it would cost. Cant be too much.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
There should be like a screw cap with a grease seal on the pinion end of the slip yoke you can take loose and see just how close it is getting to maxed out. Jack the truck up by the frame from the front and let the axle drop, watching as you go. If the front axle is at full droop and the driveshaft isn't bound at the double cardan joint or the slip yoke you should be fine. They also make a 1" spacer that goes between the t-case front output flange and the flange on the driveshaft but that makes your angle sharper. You also have to consider front spring compression as well which shortens the front shaft. Last option would be limiting straps. When I was running a 4" lift I had no problems with the front slip yoke but that was with an SM465 4-speed, shorter transmission than what you might be running.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
81 up SM465/208 combos sit in exactly the same spot as any automatic set up. The 4x4 adapter was lengthened or shortened to keep the transfer case in the same position regardless of what transmission was used. This made drive shafts more universal with only the rear end being the determining factor in drive shaft length.

MannyDantyla

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
sbc350/sm365/np205
whats this 4x4 adapter you speak of?

My truck used to be 2wd and automatic, now it's 4x4 and manual. I don't know if it was converted to 4x4 or if a c10 body was put on a k10 chassis. This info about sm465/np208 being the same length as an automatic give credence to the idea that it could have been a conversion.

Ryan-73, you may need longer driveshaft(s). If it helps, I just payed $130 to have one driveshaft shortened and balanced by truck service shop in KC.

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
whats this 4x4 adapter you speak of?

My truck used to be 2wd and automatic, now it's 4x4 and manual. I don't know if it was converted to 4x4 or if a c10 body was put on a k10 chassis. This info about sm465/np208 being the same length as an automatic give credence to the idea that it could have been a conversion.

Ryan-73, you may need longer driveshaft(s). If it helps, I just payed $130 to have one driveshaft shortened and balanced by truck service shop in KC.

4x4 adapter is the (usually)cast aluminum piece that goes between the transmission and the transfer case. It is also what bolts to the transmission cross member, where as 2wd use the transmission to bolt to the cross member.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackscott2005