4/6 drop questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badger

Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
hello everyone newbie here and first post.
I am in the middle of doing a frame off on my 77 gmc c15 swb.
I am wanting to do a 4/6 drop
In the front I’ll be using bellteck 3” drop spindles and a 1” lower spring.

In the back I was thinking of going with western chassis 3” lower springs and bell tech 3” lower spring mount.

My question is I was thinking that because I’m not doing a axle flip this way I may not have to notch the frame ??? I prefer not to notch the frame they get sticky about that here. If 6” wont work maybe 5 would ?
TIA

Paint guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
This is just my opinion, others may chime in. But it has been my experience that once you go past a 4" drop in the rear a notch is going to be needed. You might get away without, but when driving and hitting bumps, or if you put anything in the bed, the axle would hit the frame.

Badger

Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
This is just my opinion, others may chime in. But it has been my experience that once you go past a 4" drop in the rear a notch is going to be needed. You might get away without, but when driving and hitting bumps, or if you put anything in the bed, the axle would hit the frame.
From what I can see from most people doing drops do an axle flip when they go beyond 4”. That would put the axle closer to the frame requiring a notch. But I was thinking of doing drop springs and perches

Badger505

Reaction score
First Name
STEVE
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I feel like it should be fine. I did an axel flip and lowering springs and I have to be really loaded for it to bottom out on the frame.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Welcome to GMSB from Virginia

Donald

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1500
Engine Size
350 / 290
I did a axle flip to my 86 c10 and did not notch the frame . It worked fine but you couldn't put heave loads in it . I cut the bump stops out and welded them to the out board side of the frame rails. I enclosed is a picture of my 85 I notched the frame one this one but you can see the way to mount the stops only in your case the would be lower on the frame.
You must be registered for see images attach

tobiahr

Reaction score
First Name
Tobiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer 2wd
Engine Size
L59 5.3 swap
it will not make a difference on if its a axle flip or drop springs and hangers the axle will still be as close to the frame for the same amount of drop. i.e. if you do a axle flip and get a 6 inch drop and two inches of frame clearance you would get the same two inches of frame clearance with 3 inch drop springs and 3 inch drop hangers.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
it will not make a difference on if its a axle flip or drop springs and hangers the axle will still be as close to the frame for the same amount of drop.
Exactly!

And just FYI, if you drop only the front of the leaf spring with a spring hanger, that will raise the pinion angle, and visa versa. So be sure and "drop" both ends of the spring the same, or just use a lowered spring and be done with it.

Brett77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
502 stroker
I recommend flip the axle and notch the frame. I just went through this earlier this year and tried drop shackles and springs in the rear not enough travel without the c notch. You will also get tired of redoing it. My axle was on the frame bump and was not low enough for me. The picture on my profile is with lowering shackles and still to high, flipped the rear end and put stock shackles back on got my leaf springs re arched and rides level.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk