4-53T conversion 76 C20 2wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheC5Surgeon

Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Hey guys. Planning on doing starting to assemble parts for a diesel swap into my 1976 C20 2wd burb. I recently got the 454 running back with a carb swap and it just needs a little fine tuning. I would like to enjoy the gasser for a short time while funds are being set aside for the swap. I have narrowed down my top choices for the diesel to be a 6bt or 4-53T Detroit. I would love to do something a little different like the 4-53T if it is possible. My searches on forums mostly show people who have done this in a 4wd vehicle. And even then it is hard to come by specifics when dealing with fitment issues. Does anyone know what hurdles will have to be overcome when fitting the 4-53T onto my 2wd crossmember and firewall? Does anyone know a resource or company I could get in contact with for more specifics? Or has anyone on this forum actually done this swap? Thanks in advance.

Matthew

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I have no advice, other than to go for it and let us know how it goes every step of the way! I would love to see a tutorial on how to swap a 4-53 into a Chevy.

Or better yet, I'd really like to see how to shoehorn a 6v71 into a squarebody. Then I can copy you :)

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Cooool! I'm not that familiar with them, but seen the video of the one a guy put in a newer Super Duty! Screamin' Jimmy in a square sounds awesome. Physically it'll fit fine, not too big.
But 6BT Cummins FTW, for ease of swap (there are kits), reliability and double (or triple or more) the power all day long.

TheC5Surgeon

Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I think it would be pretty badass too. Also, if I could pull off a manual swap along with it that would make it even better. The power those motors make with minor improvements seem to be sufficient for what I would use it for (to haul a race car trailer and a camper). I have daily driven a 95 7.3 powerstroke for the last 12 years so that kind of power level or slightly higher would be enough.

There's no arguing that the 6bt has obvious advantages. But to note, I have not found any kits available for a 2wd model. If you have seen any share if you don't mind. I spoke to some guys at a conversion specialty company somewhere up north, maybe Wisconsin or Minnesota. They said they do not offer a kit in the 2wd models bc of the required modification to the front crossmember to fit the 6bt. This being said it seems that both engines might require crossmember and/or oil pan modifications.

Matthew

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Sorry not really familiar with them, but considering it in the future…distant future. But for a 4wd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
C30vet