3rd Brake Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hi,
So i recently bought the 3rd brake light from LMC that goes above the back window on the cab. So, on my truck, its solid in the middle at the top there.
How would i mount the light, and how would i run wires to it that are hidden? Like, i know the dome light wire goes in between layers of the cab, so how would i somehow work the wire out the back? And, i'd have to drill a hole for the wire to come through in the back, correct?

Thanks!

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Ok so i talked with my dad about what he thought i should do, and he has a friend who is a electrician and says he'll just run the wire right up there for me, i dont have to worry about that part.
So, where would i wire this to? Just my brake lights, they'll all work the same if i just splice into one?

Thanks!

SkinnyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
G
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
350/TH350
Wire it off the brake pedal switch, otherwise you get a "signal-light" effect with whichever brake light you tap into.

(Common when people were adding 3rd brake lights to their cars in the mid 80's.)

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I don't think it will work unless you splice right in at the brake light switch. If you tie it in after the turn signal switch it won't work right.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Wire it off the brake pedal switch, otherwise you get a "signal-light" effect with whichever brake light you tap into.

(Common when people were adding 3rd brake lights to their cars in the mid 80's.)

You beat me to it LOL. :party36:

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Ohh ok i see, i didn't even think of the turn signal messing it up.

So, where would i find the brake light switch? And how could i splice into it?

Also, for running the wire up to the light, should i get a socket for the bulb to fit into? Because it came with a bulb and i dont know how else to put power to it besides wiring in a socket. And, would i wire a ground and positive going all the way up there?

Thanks!

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
and he has a friend who is a electrician and says he'll just run the wire right up there for me, i dont have to worry about that part.

Pulling wires up through that B pillar can be a real struggle. There is a stiffener between the inner and outer skins (about halfway up). I have never seen it, but I have felt it many times. It has some seriously sharp edges on it - my hands have the scars to prove it.

It has only a small opening that you can run leads through. This makes it difficult to turn the corner from the vertical run of the pillar and into the horizontal void space (that runs along the back of the cab over the window).

But, if your father's friend is an electrician, he'll probably knock it right out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ta1nt3d