33X12.5X15 Mud Terrain Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimVG

Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I am running BFG All Terrain KO2’s - 285/75R16’s. They are narrower than the 33x12’s. They are relatively quite, but do pick up smaller rocks on gravel. Not enough of a detriment for me, as I really like the look of a tall, narrow tire on my truck.

Attachments

• F28F1AA1-2F2C-4C1F-8DFE-F21E82E1226C.jpeg
    F28F1AA1-2F2C-4C1F-8DFE-F21E82E1226C.jpeg
    270.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

nightowl

Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
My last couple sets have been BFG Mud Terrains , there is noise but bearable. The only thing I dont like about them is they can hydroplane

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Toyo and Nitto are sister companies, iirc. Toyo has a “hybrid” tire as well. Maybe they have those in 15s. Unfortunately, 15s and 16s are getting phased out and fewer and fewer options are available.
Probably not a concern most of the time for the OP in southern AZ, but since you mentioned these tires. The Toyo RT is the equivalent of the Ridge Grappler. Great tire, except the Toyo version anyway is about the worst "aggressive" tire I've had in the snow. In case anyone cares...lol.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have had Wrangler Duratracs on my last three trucks. They are surprisingly quiet considering how aggressive the tread is. They are readily available in 15 and 16 inch sizes, wear well and are good in the snow till the tread gets low. I have only done light off roading so I can't speak for mud bogging performance.

You must be registered for see images attach
Not doubting you, but I've had the exact opposite experience. Great all conditions tire and very good treadwear. But both sets got loud and stay loud after some miles.
And the guys at work that also had them (we have a fleet of Company Trailboss Chevys) have all changed tires prematurely due to the noise.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Probably not a concern most of the time for the OP in southern AZ, but since you mentioned these tires. The Toyo RT is the equivalent of the Ridge Grappler. Great tire, except the Toyo version anyway is about the worst "aggressive" tire I've had in the snow. In case anyone cares...lol.
That's good to know, I've been considering the Nitto RG's for my jeep. I'll have to ask around about how the Nitto's do in the snow.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That's good to know, I've been considering the Nitto RG's for my jeep. I'll have to ask around about how the Nitto's do in the snow.
If you look at the shape/size/orientation of the tread and think about what makes a tire a good snow tire, it will make sense. Probably doesn't help that the big tires anyway are also a pretty hard compound. But I even had my RTs siped and they still suck.
I'd take a Toyo AT2 or 3 or Nitto Terra Grappler G3 any day over either of the hybrids. Both also do well in the snow and are surefooted like a billy goat if you sipe them.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
If you look at the shape/size/orientation of the tread and think about what makes a tire a good snow tire, it will make sense. Probably doesn't help that the big tires anyway are also a pretty hard compound. But I even had my RTs siped and they still suck.
I'd take a Toyo AT2 or 3 or Nitto Terra Grappler G3 any day over either of the hybrids. Both also do well in the snow and are surefooted like a billy goat if you sipe them.
I run the Michelin defender (AKA the LTX) on everything I own except my SB & Jeep because their not available in a 33 or 37. Its been the best tire in snow I've ever had except maybe Toyo Observes on a passenger car, those were super soft winter only type tires.

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I've been running the cooper AT3 xlt on suburban and there pretty good. Excellent in snow and water. Haven't done to much mudding with them but the suburban is already a tank so pretty tough to stop it. There quiet and have excellent tread wear and last about 70000 km and thats with a gravel ashfault mix.

I put the cooper at3 lt on the wife's escalade and there not as aggressive sidewalls.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
And quoting myself here. I don't dislike the Toyo RTs. Our truck came with them. They are not too loud, wearing well and wear like iron.
37s on a diesel with over 40k miles on them and they are right around 8-9/32. Might be better but I've spent alot of miles correcting the center tread wear from the Prev owner who drove them with 65psi on all 4 tires on an empty truck! Great tread life on them.

peats

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
72k5, 81c10 short step, 83k10 short fleet, 03 SSR. 25 chevy doodlebug
Truck Model
k5 c10 k10 SSR doodlebug
Engine Size
406 360 6.2 5.3 171
Might be time to dynamat the cab if you are so worried about tire noise.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Most of the tire hum/singing/noise comes from the side lugs and very few modern mud tires have side lugs sticking out past the carcass. The Buckshot Mudders and Super Swampers of my youth had large side lugs and made a LOT of noise on the road. They pulled really well in the mud, which was what we needed them to do. Noise was secondary to traction.

A modern Buckshot Mudder:

I am running 33x12.50-15s on my '87. The Cooper Discoverer STT PRO was my tire of choice but I was actually looking for a tire that would "sing" on the highway. I am looking for any way I can duplicate the experience of driving one of these old trucks the way I did back in the '80s. Sadly, the Coopers don't make as much noise as I wanted, they are pretty quiet so far.

We are running a set of the BFG Mud Terrains on the Bronco and they are much quieter than you would expect. Again, the side lugs don't extend past the carcass and that keeps things quiet.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Most of the tire hum/singing/noise comes from the side lugs and very few modern mud tires have side lugs sticking out past the carcass. The Buckshot Mudders and Super Swampers of my youth had large side lugs and made a LOT of noise on the road. They pulled really well in the mud, which was what we needed them to do. Noise was secondary to traction.

A modern Buckshot Mudder:

I am running 33x12.50-15s on my '87. The Cooper Discoverer STT PRO was my tire of choice but I was actually looking for a tire that would "sing" on the highway. I am looking for any way I can duplicate the experience of driving one of these old trucks the way I did back in the '80s. Sadly, the Coopers don't make as much noise as I wanted, they are pretty quiet so far.

We are running a set of the BFG Mud Terrains on the Bronco and they are much quieter than you would expect. Again, the side lugs don't extend past the carcass and that keeps things quiet.

If you want noisy Nitto Mud Grapplers or Interco Thornbirds have a good reputation for that

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
If you want noisy Nitto Mud Grapplers or Interco Thornbirds have a good reputation for that

True but I had other requirements. I had to run an "American" brand on my GMC. I like the Toyo, I run them on my '19 Duramax but bring myself to run them on my Old School truck. The Thornbirds simply look ridiculous to me, they did not fit the "look" of a 1987 era truck.

The Coopers were a good compromise and I studied this for months before I made my purchase. I probably overthink and over research but I want this old truck to look and feel period correct.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Any MT will have some variation of road noise. It all relative to the driver, more for some and less for others.

A thing to remember, the larger the lug of the tread the louder the noise it will make. This is also true as for the "stickiness" of the tread will add to the noise. Proper inflation is key, having a tire inflated to 8 psi for offroading/trailriding will be louder on pavement than the same tire at 33 psi.

Hickhaven

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Not doubting you, but I've had the exact opposite experience. Great all conditions tire and very good treadwear. But both sets got loud and stay loud after some miles.
And the guys at work that also had them (we have a fleet of Company Trailboss Chevys) have all changed tires prematurely due to the noise.
Very interesting. I wonder if load rating has something to do with it. All the Duratracs I have owned are 6 ply C load rated. They also make a 10 ply E load rated version that I have no experience with.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128