305 to 35

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dal85

Reaction score
First Name
Yes
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Hey guys new to thread. Starting to re-do an 85 gmc with my kid for her first ride. It's got a 305 in it now. My question is I am looking at getting a remanufactured 350 to take place of the 305 and I was wondering if there was a certain year I should go with to get rid of some of the belts or does it really matter?

Thoughts?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Hey guys new to thread. Starting to re-do an 85 gmc with my kid for her first ride. It's got a 305 in it now. My question is I am looking at getting a remanufactured 350 to take place of the 305 and I was wondering if there was a certain year I should go with to get rid of some of the belts or does it really matter?

Thoughts?

You're a cool dad is my first thought. I think that a 305 is a good motor, especially since it's just for a first vehicle and not a hauler, a puller, or a racer. I completely understand wanting more power; I'm just looking at it from a money saving standpoint for other things that a truck needs or other things that your daughter would want to put in there (i.e. speakers). Anyways, a serpentine setup and accessories from a GMT400 (88-99) truck or SUV would be the best way to go because of commonality in junkyards and such. I mean, any later B, G, F Body, Corvette, or P/G van that came with a small block Chevy should work, too. Bear in mind that you gotta change the water pump to a later model one, too, in addition to all the accessories, pulleys, idlers, and brackets you just bought. As far as getting a remanned motor, there are cheaper ways such as getting a remanned short block and getting the heads, intake, carb, and headers you want and assembling it/installing it yourself or with a helper. You have all the other stuff. If you do go the route of buying a remanned long block, Jasper would probably be the way to go. A lot of people have Goodwrench crate motors, and I'm sure they're fine, but "Hecho en Mexico" is a big turn off for me when I can get it domestic. Same as buying the Hecho en Mexico 85-87 El Caminos. Why get one of those when you can get a nearly identical 82-84 that was made right here. Anyways, I digress. Moral of the story is be wary of the fact that things can get expensive quick, especially depending on where you get the motor and whether or not you have someone install it. Also know that a thirty plus year old 305 with multi-belt accessory drive is a great motor from someone who drives one all over my state. Good luck, buddy.

Dal85

Reaction score
First Name
Yes
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Hey thanks! It's not really a power deal. This is a first for myself to rebuild something like this but my daughter likes the truck. The motor is going to be put in by a shop. I can get a motor reman 305 for $1100 with 3 year warranty unlimited miles on parts and labor. Then everyone tells me I will regret going with the 305. So that's why I was trying to get some input. I believe I will just stay with the 305 and have it swapped out. We are going to do a lot of it ourself As far as replacing parts and such but when it comes to the motor I would rather have someone that knows what they are doing.

Thanks for the feedback

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Hey thanks! It's not really a power deal. This is a first for myself to rebuild something like this but my daughter likes the truck. The motor is going to be put in by a shop. I can get a motor reman 305 for $1100 with 3 year warranty unlimited miles on parts and labor. Then everyone tells me I will regret going with the 305. So that's why I was trying to get some input. I believe I will just stay with the 305 and have it swapped out. We are going to do a lot of it ourself As far as replacing parts and such but when it comes to the motor I would rather have someone that knows what they are doing.

Thanks for the feedback

That sounds like a Jasper warranty. If so, that's probably the best. The same motor came in my Caprice when I got it. It's coming up on eight years old, and it's doing pretty well. I've only had to do emissions, ignition, and fuel repairs, but the motor and Quadrajet have been bulletproof so far. I understand going the shop route, especially if it's a good shop. I wouldn't have tackled a rebuild when the 350 in my Jimmy blew up almost two years ago, but now I wouldn't hesitate to jerk it out, tear it down, rebuild it, and put it back in. The only caveat for me has been that the more I learned, the less I approved of the work that got done. Since you're going that route, I would check the price of the 350. I know the Power Torque 350 long blocks were cheaper than the 305's a couple years ago. 350's are more plentiful and universally applicable so the supply of rebuildable cores is greater than the 305's, which were not made as long and a lot of people don't bother rebuilding them. The 305 is definitely restricted mechanically by its smaller bore and stroke and ideologically by people who hate it for its higher expense to build up and still get poorer results than a 350. Plus, I think there's a lot of bandwagon disdain for the 305. However, in a car or Class 1 van or pickup, the 305 is just fine for conservative applications. It'll get decent fuel economy, especially with a Quadrajet, and it can get out of its own way for the most part. There are performance modifications out there for it if you're ever interested, but I also understand not wanting to corrupt the work and parts you paid well for. Either way, the motor should come with 416 or 601 HO heads, which are definitely not the worst head that GM made, but there are better. They can actually be worked to do pretty damn good, but a set of Vortec 305 heads, or aftermarket aluminum or cast iron heads would be a smidge better. The cam won't be terrible like the infamous LG4 "peanut cam," but a nice, milder Comp cam (i.e. 12-300-4) would wake it up. An aluminum intake manifold is a standard tradition as far as mods go, with Edelbrock performers being the most popular, and it would be an improvement over the factory cast iron intake. That would be a 2101 if you don't care about EGR or a 3701 if you do. I'm assuming it has a Quadrajet. The exhaust is easily workable for a pre-TBI vehicle. All you need are a good set of headers and you can work it back from there, whether you want true duals or a Y pipe. I don't know what emissions are like where you live, but you could do a high flow universal catalytic converter for cheap. I have catless true duals on my Jimmy and a gutted dummy cat with factory exhaust on my Caprice. You could do an ignition tuneup and even switch to a high output coil. Finally, keeping up with your timing and your tire pressure make a difference. 6-8* degrees BTDC base timing is a good place to shoot for. If it pings, though, don't be afraid to dial it back because 305's will typically ping before a 350 will. If it still has Electronic Spark Control, then you'll have a knock sensor that'll automatically retard the timing if it pings a little while driving down the road so don't worry about that. I mean, with head work, a good, modern cam, aftermarket intake manifold, updated exhaust, a slightly upgraded Q-Jet, an inverted factory air cleaner or an aftermarket open element air cleaner, and the requisite ignition tweaks, that could be a 300hp motor for not that expensive, but in its stock form, you should expect 180hp plus or minus 10. I know this is very down the line, but I'm just saying that your ceiling for that motor is probably higher than what you'd expect, and maybe if she gets tired of it or grows to love it more and wants more out of it, you can start thinking about these upgrades either for yourself or for your daughter. Same with a 350 swap down the road, except you'll have a more powerful final product with the same exact parts.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xXmutantXx