305 No power.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Chevy 302s and 327s are my favorite engines. I'm not huge on strokers....unless you are building it for towing and such.

Small Journal 327 is certianly one of my favorites. Not a huge fan of the large journal 327 though since you may as well just go 350 if you're going to have a large journal cast crank 327.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
The 305 heads have significantly smaller chambers. Its going raise your compression considerably.

The 305 heads are 76 cc heads but with smaller valves and runners which is perfect for developing torque. Very similar to the 991 heads. if you enlarge the valves and do a mild port job on them they can really come to life.

As far as the stroker thing goes its only a stroker if you stroked it. That's why they call them strokers. What you are really referring to is the bore to stroke ratio. As you will notice the LS motors use a longer stroke for the 5.3,6.0 and 6.2 than the old SB 350s and 305s and produce much more torque and as a result HP.

Any engine is stroked or destroked compared to the next engine up or down the line. Really a stroker refers to actually swapping cranks from one block to another.

Last edited:

Tricky991

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
305/5.0
Alright so I have been thinking this over, and well. I have been wanting to do alot of work on the truck not with just the motor. But everything.

So for sure, I am going to basically rebuild the 350, and the transmission. And do work on the front and rear end. And maybe interior, if everything turns out.
This will be my first major project, but I love doing the work myself and learning everything.

So going to start getting the engine ready to be pulled out. I will make a new thread and post pics as I go along if you guys would like to watch how it all turns out.

Again thanks for the help so far, and I know I will need more along the way! :favorites37:

Rule_So_Hard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
The 305 heads are 76 cc heads but with smaller valves and runners which is perfect for developing torque. Very similar to the 991 heads. if you enlarge the valves and do a mild port job on them they can really come to life.

As far as the stroker thing goes its only a stroker if you stroked it. That's why they call them strokers. What you are really referring to is the bore to stroke ratio. As you will notice the LS motors use a longer stroke for the 5.3,6.0 and 6.2 than the old SB 350s and 305s and produce much more torque and as a result HP.

Any engine is stroked or destroked compared to the next engine up or down the line. Really a stroker refers to actually swapping cranks from one block to another.
Yes that is what I was referring too..I was trying g to not get too technical. Idk if any realizes it or not but this thread is supposed to be about this guys truck....not about you guys nitpicking everything I say. I'm well aware the engine isn't actually stroked and it is actually an under square engine.
But in reality none of this matters...I tried multiple times to diffuse this drama fest by simply saying I wasn't looking for a debate. Then I tried to just let it go and not rwply. And now you are coming back just to reply to something I said that wasn't even directed at you out of spite. The best part is you are not even contributing to this guys thread. Do you realize how immature that is? If you want to pick apart everything I say you can copy and paste into a PM and do it there but don't be a dick by cluttering up this guys thread with nonsense.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Alright so I have been thinking this over, and well. I have been wanting to do alot of work on the truck not with just the motor. But everything.

So for sure, I am going to basically rebuild the 350, and the transmission. And do work on the front and rear end. And maybe interior, if everything turns out.
This will be my first major project, but I love doing the work myself and learning everything.

So going to start getting the engine ready to be pulled out. I will make a new thread and post pics as I go along if you guys would like to watch how it all turns out.

Again thanks for the help so far, and I know I will need more along the way! :favorites37:

Great idea Trick. Start you an Under Construction thread about the complete truck project.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Are you sure all 305 heads are 76cc? I'm thinking more like 68-72cc. If they're 76cc then why would they be raising the compression an a 350 that are also 76cc heads? :shrug:

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

When rebuilding the 350, replace the cam with something non-stock. Sean Murphy over at SMI recommended the Comp 12-235-2 to me on a phone call when I was looking around. Nice broad low torque curve, 290 hp/415 lbft, and not enough lift to need anything special but some better springs. I went with the 12-300-4 instead, 285 hp/422 lbft, stock lift, stock springs and heads and all, more torque sooner but tops out about 500 rpm sooner as well. This is very low strain on the valve train and has been a great fit for my K10.

If you change out the heads to something else, there are a lot of choices, and people on here with much more experience there than I. The Dart aluminum heads can turn the thing into a monster -- 400 hp and 450 lbft is pretty easy with those, but they're big bucks. There are also the Vortec heads, which you might be able to pick up cheap. Different heads will also allow different cam choices.

Tricky991

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
305/5.0
When rebuilding the 350, replace the cam with something non-stock. Sean Murphy over at SMI recommended the Comp 12-235-2 to me on a phone call when I was looking around. Nice broad low torque curve, 290 hp/415 lbft, and not enough lift to need anything special but some better springs. I went with the 12-300-4 instead, 285 hp/422 lbft, stock lift, stock springs and heads and all, more torque sooner but tops out about 500 rpm sooner as well. This is very low strain on the valve train and has been a great fit for my K10.

If you change out the heads to something else, there are a lot of choices, and people on here with much more experience there than I. The Dart aluminum heads can turn the thing into a monster -- 400 hp and 450 lbft is pretty easy with those, but they're big bucks. There are also the Vortec heads, which you might be able to pick up cheap. Different heads will also allow different cam choices.

How would either of those cams fair with 305 heads? I am planning on using the 305 heads, and yeah I saw the other post talk about the 12-300-4. I like both, but I am wondering what kind of crazy things will I run into with running the 305 heads with those?

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
How would either of those cams fair with 305 heads? I am planning on using the 305 heads, and yeah I saw the other post talk about the 12-300-4. I like both, but I am wondering what kind of crazy things will I run into with running the 305 heads with those?

I'm really not sure why you are dead set with the 305 heads. You can find used sets of good clean 350 heads for $100 or less.

I picked up a set of 350 heads for my truck that had less than 900km on them that were just freshly rebuilt for $120.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm really not sure why you are dead set with the 305 heads. You can find used sets of good clean 350 heads for $100 or less.

I picked up a set of 350 heads for my truck that had less than 900km on them that were just freshly rebuilt for $120.

Agreed. If you go with standard setups, you will have a lot fewer surprises.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size

X2 if you liked the 305 heads you'll like the 350s even more :).

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Tricky991

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
305/5.0
Well I have the 305 heads. I mean since they are going to work, why not? I am not dead set on it.

If they work they work, if they don't well I will get 350 heads for it.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Are you sure all 305 heads are 76cc? I'm thinking more like 68-72cc. If they're 76cc then why would they be raising the compression an a 350 that are also 76cc heads? :shrug:

Oh **** you may be right about them being 72cc. However the valves are not to small compared to some 350 heads specifically 991 heads which everyone knows is the best truck 350 head.

991 heads =1.72, 1.50 valves @ 76cc

305 heads 0810,2188 86'-91' = 1.84, 1.50 valves @ 72cc
305 heads 2601 80'-86' = 1.84, 1.50 valves @72 cc

so yes the 305 heads have potential when compared to the 991 heads especially when you figure in a valve and port job and higher compression and if you wanted to lower compression you could unshroud the valves.

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Yes that is what I was referring too..I was trying g to not get too technical. Idk if any realizes it or not but this thread is supposed to be about this guys truck....not about you guys nitpicking everything I say. I'm well aware the engine isn't actually stroked and it is actually an under square engine.
But in reality none of this matters...I tried multiple times to diffuse this drama fest by simply saying I wasn't looking for a debate. Then I tried to just let it go and not rwply. And now you are coming back just to reply to something I said that wasn't even directed at you out of spite. The best part is you are not even contributing to this guys thread. Do you realize how immature that is? If you want to pick apart everything I say you can copy and paste into a PM and do it there but don't be a dick by cluttering up this guys thread with nonsense.

I am about as tactless as they come! No personal insult intended.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD