305 No power.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tricky991

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
305/5.0
Wholly ****! was that thing actually running with a spun bearing?!?! Just more proof that small block chevy's are hard to kill.

I have been in your exact situation so here is my take on it.

Buying a used engine is a huge gamble, last small block I got the owner told me it ran but lost power suddenly. When I tore it down one piston was completely ruined with pieces missing.

Go to harbor freight and get a compression tester, also get a oil pump priming tool you chuck into a drill and a cheap mechanical gauge. whatever your going to buy just make sure its got compression and oil pressure.

I know first hand you cant always afford to do stuff right, scour craigslist and just wait for a good engine if you can. Once you crack into a used engine (replacing headgaskets) your going to find more and more ****. The perfect deal always seems to pop up.

Still running and drivable'ish now. I notice that the harmonic balancer wobbles like crazy lol

But the engine I am getting is low miles. And he owes me money for work I done for him in the past, so I most likely will get it "free". So If the engine isn't to bad I will just fix it.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

Stewzer55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 TBI
Burnout cam?

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That cam has more torque on launch than anything else you can put in a stock 350, and will run just fine with stock springs, lifters and rockers. Simplest, cheapest upgrade to a stock 350, but nets 420+ lbft at 2500 rpm.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Yea it's the step b4 mine it'll have some torque. You'll be happy.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Wholly ****! was that thing actually running with a spun bearing?!?! Just more proof that small block chevy's are hard to kill.

That's what I was thinking. I can't believe he had oil pressure, and how was oil getting pumped to the top of the motor? I've never seen anything like it myself.

That's why I was asking, what do you mean the bearing is sticking out, cuz he was desribing it just like it is and I thought, no way, that's not what he means. About fell outta my chair when I seen the pic and that it IS exactly as how he explained it. :lol: UnFukingReal !!!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I know I was agreeing with you lol

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
That's what I was thinking. I can't believe he had oil pressure, and how was oil getting pumped to the top of the motor? I've never seen anything like it myself.

That's why I was asking, what do you mean the bearing is sticking out, cuz he was desribing it just like it is and I thought, no way, that's not what he means. About fell outta my chair when I seen the pic and that it IS exactly as how he explained it. :lol: UnFukingReal !!!

I would think it would be hard to keep oil pressure but maybe the bearing sealed off the port when it spun ?

Rule_So_Hard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
If you are going to be using a truck to tow and haul with the torque is really nice. Even crawlers make good use of it. But in mud, snow, climbing, pulling etc... Rs are where its at.
I lost the video but at the local mud bogs a few years back we had all the mud boggers scratching there heads when we had a stock k20 with nothing but 35s and a HOT 8000 rpm 327 smoking all the other trucks out there. She didn't even hit the mud until half course. Then she skipped and came skipping to the end and screamed her way out.
We then after that slapped 40s on it and found out it would spin them.... Until we destroyed by he rear end.
Different engine for different purposes, different strokes for different folks.
:cheers:

Tricky991

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
305/5.0
If you are going to be using a truck to tow and haul with the torque is really nice. Even crawlers make good use of it. But in mud, snow, climbing, pulling etc... Rs are where its at.
I lost the video but at the local mud bogs a few years back we had all the mud boggers scratching there heads when we had a stock k20 with nothing but 35s and a HOT 8000 rpm 327 smoking all the other trucks out there. She didn't even hit the mud until half course. Then she skipped and came skipping to the end and screamed her way out.
We then after that slapped 40s on it and found out it would spin them.... Until we destroyed by he rear end.
Different engine for different purposes, different strokes for different folks.
:cheers:

Yeah that is what I mainly use my truck for, so I will be looking into getting that cam.

I am surprised how much power this little 305 had. Also helps with the 800cfm quadrajet. And it had decent MPG, even with my heavy foot lol.

Rule_So_Hard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
Yeah that is what I mainly use my truck for, so I will be looking into getting that cam.

I am surprised how much power this little 305 had. Also helps with the 800cfm quadrajet. And it had decent MPG, even with my heavy foot lol.

Yeah, what a lot of people don't realize is the 305 is a stroker engine. That's why its so tourqey
..And its a great light duty truck engine. The real problem with it is the valves are much to close to the cylinder walls and that really kills cylinder fill.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
???????