305 hesitation at higher throttle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

recian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 cheyenne
Engine Size
I've noticed this recently on my truck. It's way better now that I fixed vacuum leaks but 50% or more throttle my truck hesitates unless it's full throttle. It only seems to do this when driving. sitting still and revving the engine it works great so the sticky about hesitation won't do me any good. It seems to be worse when cold. Since there's no smoke or smell I'm thinking a converter issue. The exhaust is 100% original. I'm looking to see if anyone has any other ideas before I try getting another converter put in. I've thought about a magnaflow high flow since I can't remove a converter here and not put one back since it's a weld in not a bolt in so no test pipes for me.

chubble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe K10
Engine Size
Are you in New Bern, NC? If so I'm right up the road in Greenville.

What kinda carb are you running? Air filter/air intake? My truck used to hesitate alot because my carb is too big for the wee-oh-five (as HR would call it). So matting the gas dumped a **** load of fuel into the carb which just about flooded it (not enough air either) and caused and big hesitation. I replaced my air filter for one of the big 14x3 Edelbrock round filters and used a pair of stock air tubes from either side of the radiator just to help port cool clean air to the air filter. Has helped out tons in my throttle response and hesitation problems she used to have with the stock air intake with the vacuum port on it.

recian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 cheyenne
Engine Size
My truck is still all stock. New air filter. I'm running the 2 bbl rochester 210. I've considered finding a quadrajet. My brother had one on his scottsdale 305 and it livened it up good. I'm unsure about the fuel filter. That's my only conscern. It was running good today. It seems to come and go. I notice it more when I attempt to speed up before the trans downshifts like coming out of a corner or attempting to pass. I should pull a plug and see what they're doing before going too far. Talking to the previous owner I know they've got at least 60k on them but having just bought the truck Idk what brand they are.
If I was to go with the 4bbl setup would it be wise to pick up the HEI distributor upgrade? More fuel needs more spark. I've heard that simple distributor change helps alot

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I'm unsure about the fuel filter. That's my only conscern

If you haven't changed it - it should be a concern. You describe the classic symptoms of a clogged fuel filter.

See item 68 below:

You must be registered for see images attach

recian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 cheyenne
Engine Size
I know it's got at least 60k on it so I think I'll pick one up this afternoon and see what happens. May smooth out my idle a bit too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deankelly