77 C15 305 hesitation off idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jti30666

Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
First off I'm new to this forum but not to these older vehicles....and thank you in advance for your support/answers...

My friend brought me his 77 C15 305 , it has an aftermarket Rochester 2 jet, for an fix/inspection... complaint was hesitation (briefly) when going from idle to a quick acceleration, like pulling out on a busy road/highway...I did a test drive and found that this is true but if you feather the throttle it won't skip a beat but you have to really take it slow....once above 30 mph you can stomp the gas and it will downshift and fly....

With my inspection I found a lot of problems that I listed below and are fixed and or checked..

Compression good.

Timing gear set/chain (replaced)...had 3/4" slack in original chain.

When I had everything apart I verified tdc on 1 with a piston stop and the balancer aligned with the zero on tab...and it is a new balancer

Carburetor...old one was rebuilt and damaged by another "tech"...replaced with a reman carb wich I adjusted to factory specs and also fixed. Has 0.055 main jets...

Replaced all gaskets...tc/oil pan/rear main/ etc.....

Fuel pressure was at 9 to 10 psi... installed regulator to 3-4 psi...

Intake manifold/carb leaks...found leaks and fixed...

New distributor because the center weight had a broken pin....old dizzy had an 18 vacuum advance...now when idling at 650 with vacuum advance plugged into carb with full manifold vacuum I'm getting 33 degrees advanced timing

Now we still have the same problem as before....if I slowly accelerate no problems...if I step on it it will fall on its face or a second then it takes off...it almost seems like there is no transfer between idle and full throttle...I've verified though that the slots work with fluid and air... pulling close to 25 inches of vacuum at idle...weirdly instead of vacuum dropping with throttle it jumps up to 45 then drops back down...

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Is it a factory replacement distributor or a generic hei? And I think there is something wrong with your vacuum gauge. Does it have good accelerator pump shot?

Last edited:

jti30666

Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
It's not gm...new from AutoZone...never had problems with them before...but with the old dizzy we were having same problems...it was a gm oe replacement

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Where is your total timing? Where is your old distributor? The cam,weights,springs,and even the advance cannister are not the same in all distributors. My gut says you need more initial timing,but you need to see where total is. Should be in the vicinity of 36 degrees.If not give it some more initial and see what that does.When did this stumble start? They didn't stumble new,so what has changed?

jti30666

Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
If you read the entire first post this problem is the same from beginning to end....I just fixed other problems like I was supposed to...ie leaks, bad timing chain, vacuum leaks.....yes ricco I know this, have been down this road before (no pun intended)...and again I originally posted this....with vacuum advance plugged off I set the initial to 10 advanced....reset vacuum to advance and I'm reading 28 advanced at idle....at 2500 rpm I'm around 34 advanced

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Okay It doesn't matter where it is at idle it's no longer factory and we don't know whatvit is,as in weights,springs,cam and how much centrifugal advance is in your new distributor. You want around 36 degrees total advance that is initial plus centrifugal with vac advance disconnected and plugged. If it is much lower than that bring it up to that,let's see what that does. Then I'll teach how to get it closer to ideal.I may be wrong but my gut says you need more initial timing.

jti30666

Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Okay It doesn't matter where it is at idle it's no longer factory and we don't know whatvit is,as in weights,springs,cam and how much centrifugal advance is in your new distributor. You want around 36 degrees total advance that is initial plus centrifugal with vac advance disconnected and plugged. If it is much lower than that bring it up to that,let's see what that does. Then I'll teach how to get it closer to ideal.I may be wrong but my gut says you need more initial timing.
BS...idle speed does effect initial timing with vacuum advance plugged..,Why??? Because that's how it works.... you want the idle to be as low as possible so you know for sure there is no mechanical advance..set initial timing....plug in vacuum advance, take reading...run rpm to at least 2000 then get total...I've done this before many many times...

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
So you obviously do not know how to do this, or you would know how to set up total. Total should be about 36 degrees all in, centrifugal and base no vacuum advance connected don't believe me ? Research it.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics